Author Topic: Should i buy an used Trio CS-1570 oscilloscope for hobby electronics  (Read 687 times)

Offline OliverLuziiTopic starter

Hi!

Im trying to get into hobby electronics and am looking for a cheap analog oscilloscope since my budget isnt that large;

Fortunately i found a Trio CS-1570 online for 72$ shipped:

However, i don't know if it really is appropriate for this, or if its even reliable enough to last a couple of years;

Unfortunately, the Tektronix oscilloscopes i found are far too expensive and importing from eBay isn't viable both because of absurd customs and shipping costs to my country;

Any help is appreciated.

ps: the pictures are from the seller, i havent bought it yet
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:05:26 pm by OliverLuzii »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Should i buy an used Trio CS-1570 oscilloscope for hobby electronics
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 08:16:46 pm »
I'm sorry your purchasing opportunities are so limited.  It's hard for those that don't have those issues to understand--an 18-24% VAT tax is nothing compared to the difficulties consumers have in certain economies.

The scope is actually not bad and it appears to work.  Obviously it is not a DSO (so low-frequency and one-shot captures are out) and is 'only' 30MHz, but that is plenty for a hobby-level starter.  I'd call it basic but solid--Kenwood/Trio was not a third-rate brand and the manual is available.  So if that's your best find and it's in your budget, go for it.

https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/kenwood/cs1570a-service-manual.html#.YCQ-GehKjuo
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 08:24:43 pm »
From the photos, it appears that the CTR is a little dim.

In analog scopes, a dim CRT is one of the main wear out causes, and finding a replacement CRT may be next to impossible and would cost you more than what you paid for the scope itself.

Rotary selectors also tend to become intermittent, and though many times you can fix them with a good contact cleaner, if it is indeed faulty you will again find very difficult to find a replacement.

That is for starters. One also ignores the calibration state of the instrument.

Having said all of this, I know from other Brazilian acquaintances how difficult is to pursue the electronics hobby, for the insane reasons you mentioned. So a partially functional scope is still better than absolutely no scope at all, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

What I would do is voice those concerns to the seller and tell him that, you would like to see a lower price on the scope before you make a decision.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 09:06:04 pm »
Display doesn't look dim to me but I'm not able to twist the Intensity knob.  It's not unusual to actually use a scope at far below its maximum intensity.  Otherwise, the trace 'blooms'.

I would buy it.  I don't think you are going to do a lot better considering import duties and such.  In fact, better jump on it!

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 06:13:28 pm »
I concur.  Any working scope (almost) is better than no scope at all.  And considering the state of the world, 72 dollars shipped seems pretty reasonable.

However, I would be a little concerned that the seller's photo shows the scope displaying the probe calibration signal from a _different_ scope, rather than displaying the scope's own cal signal.

Hopefully it comes with a probe or two.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:15:22 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 09:31:05 pm »
It has a trace and the vertical amplifier appears at least somewhat functional, in this price bracket (at least by US standards) that's all one can really expect lately. Being a full size bench instrument it will likely be serviceable if something does fail.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:55:06 pm »
I am not fiddling with the trace intensity either, but my comment was based on a pair of photos in which the analog scope and a digital one are set on a table. On the first photo an overhead light is providing a light fill, and in the second photo the light has been turned off.
Compare the brightness between the digital an analog scopes.

Now, I never say not to purchase it. But like any used scopes, CRTs do wear out and thus one must negotiate a little.
If the seller doesn’t budge, well then purchase it.
As is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:57:10 pm by schmitt trigger »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 10:12:32 pm »
I'd be wanting to see a picture of the  both channels showing a trace

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf