Author Topic: Siglent and Rigol Oscilloscopes Buying Guide  (Read 9774 times)

Offline GurpreetTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent and Rigol Oscilloscopes Buying Guide
« on: February 18, 2016, 04:00:36 pm »
I am looking to buy a Siglent oscilloscope model SDS1102CML which I am getting for $439. Just wondering if the siglent DSO's are hackable. If they are, then I would buy a 50MHz version. I tried to look for tutorial's to hack a siglent DSO's but could not find a legit one.  For $20 extra I can also get Rigol DS1102E, but i think it is a little outdated. Can siglent match the standard of Rigol?? I cannot buy Rigol DS1054Z because that would be way too expensive for me .So what should I go for Siglent or Rigol?I'm confused .. Plz help me.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:07:24 pm by Gurpreet »

Offline jobog

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent and Rigol Oscilloscopes Buying Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:01:35 am »
I am looking to buy a Siglent oscilloscope model SDS1102CML which I am getting for $439. Just wondering if the siglent DSO's are hackable. If they are, then I would buy a 50MHz version. I tried to look for tutorial's to hack a siglent DSO's but could not find a legit one.  For $20 extra I can also get Rigol DS1102E, but i think it is a little outdated. Can siglent match the standard of Rigol?? I cannot buy Rigol DS1054Z because that would be way too expensive for me .So what should I go for Siglent or Rigol?I'm confused .. Plz help me.

Thanks.
Tequipment has the DS1054Z for $399 with free shipping, at least in the US.

Forgot to mention you can get the Tequipment discount code that would make it even a little less.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:03:16 am by jobog »

Offline mstoer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:45:13 am »

Thanks.

Forgot to mention you can get the Tequipment discount code that would make it even a little less.

That'll come out to almost $550 CDN with the current exchange rate, never mind cross border shipping costs and customs charges.

Gurpreet, where are you getting your quotes/pricing from?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:42:02 am »

Thanks.

That'll come out to almost $550 CDN with the current exchange rate, never mind cross border shipping costs and customs charges.

Im looking on amazon.ca

Siglent----
http://www.amazon.ca/Siglent-SDS1102CML-Digital-Oscilloscope-Channel/dp/B00T66B4UE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41nLwpK3W1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0J4R8Y4XD9GJFWMJHZNT

Rigol------
http://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1102E-Oscilloscope-Channels-Sampling/dp/B001VKCJ0M/ref=pd_cp_60_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YB7V2KH8HD28CK8FES2

Seller looks legit to me. The price includes all the taxes and shipping costs. Since it is Canadian amazon, so there nothing to worry about the exchange rates.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:43:54 am »

Thanks.

That's in USA. With current exchange rates and all the taxes and custom duties, it will be too expensive for me.

Offline Brent C

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:23:39 am »
Try Electro-meters for the Rigol Dealer in Canada. The DS1054Z is $559 CAD .

http://www.rigolcanada.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000Z/ds1054z/

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 06:59:17 am »
Gurpreet that DS1102E is listed for CAD $560.  Maybe you're mixing it up with the DS1052E?  ($450).

The DS1054Z from Electro-Meters after taxes and shipping comes to around CAD $650, so roughly $200 more expensive than the DS1052E or the Siglent.

Personally I'd try to save up $200 and get the 1054Z but the DS1052E is already a very nice scope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:09 am »
Nothing at all wrong the the SDS1102CML, they're my top seller.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:24:43 am »
I'm no expert, and do not want to push on you :). But I'm going for DS1054Z because four channels is four channels. Also, the rigol got more positive review from Dave than siglent gear :). Concerning DS1052E, I touched it once and wasn't impressed (small screen, for example). I think it's not a recommended choice nowadays in favor of DS1054Z. The latter has similar price, but much better specs.

Offline halej1

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:33:04 pm »
Hello all - my first post. I'm new to the electronics hobby as you know it but have been tinkering around for years with audio and stuff but never "inside the box" unless it was a fuse or loose wire.  I've been watching Dave and all on youtube and reading as much as I can (I am an Engineer but not the Electrical kind) so the learning part is real fun for me.

Anyway I'm starting to get my gear together and am wanting to buy a Rigol DS2072 from Tequipment. I heard that there exist a discount for EEVblog members. would someone be so kind as to share the code with me?

Thank You

Offline mstoer

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:52:40 pm »

Thanks.

Im looking on amazon.ca

Siglent----
http://www.amazon.ca/Siglent-SDS1102CML-Digital-Oscilloscope-Channel/dp/B00T66B4UE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41nLwpK3W1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0J4R8Y4XD9GJFWMJHZNT

Rigol------
http://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1102E-Oscilloscope-Channels-Sampling/dp/B001VKCJ0M/ref=pd_cp_60_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YB7V2KH8HD28CK8FES2

Seller looks legit to me. The price includes all the taxes and shipping costs. Since it is Canadian amazon, so there nothing to worry about the exchange rates.

I bought my hot air tool through Banff Sky off Amazon.   It went fine.  If it's fullfilled by Amazon even better.   However you can check http://www.rae.ca/ for Rigol pricing (they are east coast). as well as Electro-meters as Brent C mentioned.   ACA Tmetrix also distributes Rigol, but they quote in $US and you have to pay them in $CDN at their chosen exchange rate.  Watch out for that.

If you can wait a bit and save up more, then it might be better to get a slightly better scope.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 10:07:42 pm »
 I guess I shouldn't tell you what I paid for my SDS1102CML. $255 USD on eBay, didn't have much competition in bidding, from a seller with 10's of thousand of feedbacks and 99.9% positive. Must have picked a bad time to post it and have it end - was funny because I was in the car driving and had my GF use the eBay app on my phone. This was brand new, in an unopened Siglent box, not a used one.
 Anyway, I am quite happy with my purchase, and it totally meets my rather modest needs - probably exceeds many of them, but the 50MHz version was actually more than this auction was going for so I went for this one - had I not won, I probably would have picked up a 50MHz one. Jack Ganssle has a very positive review of the SDS1102CML, which is in a big part what had me looking at Siglent.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 07:43:15 am »
Don't buy anything from Siglent if you are not sure you don't want to sell it on Ebay later...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 08:16:10 am »
I heard that there exist a discount for EEVblog members. would someone be so kind as to share the code with me?
Ask here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/special-price-for-eevblog-members/

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 08:29:58 am »
Don't buy anything from Siglent if you are not sure you don't want to sell it on Ebay later...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/
Would you also blacklist LeCroy whom Siglent make several of their low end models for?
Quite possibly not.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline NilByMouth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 08:42:32 am »

Would you also blacklist LeCroy whom Siglent make several of their low end models for?

Without reading the whole tedious thread, did he get an answer from Siglent? There are other places to sell your old test equipment too.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 08:51:54 am »
Without reading the whole tedious thread, did he get an answer from Siglent? There are other places to sell your old test equipment too.

Once the Siglent scandal became public, they admitted they were wrong and offered him some free Siglent stuff.
First they tried to make it look like it was just one Siglent employee that made a mistake. later it came out that it is
"normal" practice at Siglent.
However, they didn't make clear that they will stop this malicious behaviour of threatening their customers that want to
sell their stuff. On the contrary, they try to defend what they are doing.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 09:18:41 am »

Siglent presented the thread OP with a SHS1000 series HH DSO as an apology for their behaviour.
It seems everybody comes away with a different POV from reading that entire thread and for the few of us that it affects directly, we're probably the most ignored, despite the caning we've given Siglent behind the scenes. To this day, the cause of the sorry debacle was a mistake by a junior as explained early in the thread and confirmed by Siglent CEO in an interview with Dave at EEVblog HQ. However market manipulation by any manufacturer is unacceptable.  :--
There are many opinions and info in the thread including reports of similar behaviour by Rigol some years earlier.

Once the Siglent scandal became public, they admitted they were wrong and offered him some free Siglent stuff.
First they tried to make it look like it was just one Siglent employee that made a mistake. later it came out that it is "normal" practice at Siglent.
However, they didn't make clear that they will stop this malicious behaviour of threatening their customers that want to sell their stuff. On the contrary, they try to defend what they are doing.
Not in my country they won't, and I've insisted so.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 09:34:05 am »
Siglent presented the thread OP with a SHS1000 series HH DSO as an apology for their behaviour.

Siglent didn't do anything and stayed silent till the scandal became public. Then they were hasty to try to silence it with some free Siglent stuff.

debacle was a mistake by a junior as explained early in the thread and confirmed by Siglent CEO

Ofcourse they tried to do some damage control and came up with this story.
However, it became apparent that this is common policy at Siglent.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 09:59:36 am »

Siglent didn't do anything and stayed silent till the scandal became public. Then they were hasty to try to silence it with some free Siglent stuff.
You haven't the faintest idea of what really happened unless you've better contacts than I. That I very much doubt. But believe what you want, I'm unable to change your one eyed POV.

debacle was a mistake by a junior as explained early in the thread and confirmed by Siglent CEO

Of course they tried to do some damage control and came up with this story.
However, it became apparent that this is common policy at Siglent.

You haven't the faintest idea of what really happened unless you've better contacts than I. That I very much doubt. But believe what you want, I'm unable to change your one eyed POV.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 10:20:58 am »
You haven't the faintest idea of what really happened unless you've better contacts than I.

We should trust you because you try to sell Siglent stuff? O wait....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 10:30:28 am »
You haven't the faintest idea of what really happened unless you've better contacts than I.

Did I ask for your trust?
I've only presented the facts, nothing more, but apparently you are blind to them.
Naysayer perhaps?

You have as much right to be as one eyed as you are as I have the right to sell and defend a company that has done ME and probably you also, no wrong.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 10:43:53 am »

I've only presented the facts, ...

No, you didn't. You presented your personal opinion which I don't trust because you try to sell Siglent stuff.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 10:51:53 am »

I've only presented the facts, ...

No, you didn't. You presented your personal opinion which I don't trust because you try to sell Siglent stuff.
OK, so you don't trust me and you don't trust Siglent.....Who do you trust? LeCroy? Rigol? Donald Trump?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 11:17:33 am »
OK, so you don't trust me and you don't trust Siglent.....Who do you trust? LeCroy? Rigol? Donald Trump?

I don't trust the opinion of salesmen, specially when they try to do some damage control because of some malicious
behaviour of the brand they try to sell.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf