Author Topic: Siglent SDS 1104X-E issues  (Read 1561 times)

Offline worstbreadTopic starter

Siglent SDS 1104X-E issues
« on: December 27, 2022, 03:33:14 pm »
Hello,

I got a Siglent SDS 1104X-E for X-Mas, I am doing some beginner tutorials, but I have some issues, and I don't know if this is normal or not.

I build a simple RC circuit with 2 buttons to charge and discharge a capacitor to see the charge time etc. Since I am using a fairly big one the charge time is around 200ms. If I change the Horizontal value to anything above 50ms the Oscilloscope gets super slow, and it takes forever to capture the change. Sometimes it doesn't even get it.
The second issue is that changing the trigger from Auto to Single with Edge and rising slope does not capture the change. When I discharge and change its falling slope, it works. When I change the slope to alternating, it only works for the discharge but not the charge.

In the attached video you can see the single trigger issue, before the discharge I pressed the charge button, but nothing triggered.

Thanks!

Video: https://streamable.com/yl59fn
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 03:35:55 pm by worstbread »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS 1104X-E issues
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 04:27:29 pm »
Your trigger is set to 0V.  If there is any residual charge on you capacitor it may not trigger.  Try setting the trigger to just above 0V, this might help.

If not, please include a schematic of what you are doing showing everything including the measurement point.

Also, your video is marked as "archived" and is not viewable.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline ifonlyeverything

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 06:59:22 pm »
Hello,

I got a Siglent SDS 1104X-E for X-Mas, I am doing some beginner tutorials, but I have some issues, and I don't know if this is normal or not.

I build a simple RC circuit with 2 buttons to charge and discharge a capacitor to see the charge time etc. Since I am using a fairly big one the charge time is around 200ms. If I change the Horizontal value to anything above 50ms the Oscilloscope gets super slow, and it takes forever to capture the change. Sometimes it doesn't even get it.
The second issue is that changing the trigger from Auto to Single with Edge and rising slope does not capture the change. When I discharge and change its falling slope, it works. When I change the slope to alternating, it only works for the discharge but not the charge.

In the attached video you can see the single trigger issue, before the discharge I pressed the charge button, but nothing triggered.

Thanks!

Video: https://streamable.com/yl59fn

Your scope goes into roll mode for time bases >50 milliseconds. My SDS 1104XU is still pretty new to me but I don't believe there is any way around this. You can find this in the manual, page 51/204 of the PDF. https://siglentna.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/UserManual/SDS1000X&Xplus_UserManual_UM0101X-E02A.pdf

In Roll mode the waveform moves slowly across the screen from right to left. It only operates on time base settings of 50 ms/div and slower. If the current time base setting is faster than the 50 ms/div limit, it will be set to 50 ms/div when Roll mode is entered. In Roll mode there is no trigger. The fixed reference point on the screen is the right edge of the screen and refers to the current moment in time. Events that have occurred are scrolled to the left of the reference point. Since there is no trigger, no pre- trigger information is available.

It would help to see a video for your second question. I get an error saying "This video has been archived and is not available to watch at this time."

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 11:57:56 pm »
Roll mode is optional on time base settings of 50ms/div or slower.

This manual covers the 4 channel scopes...

https://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2021/08/SDS1000X-ESDS1000X-U_UserManual_EN05B.pdf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 12:04:42 am by 807 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 04:52:24 am »
Roll mode is optional on time base settings of 50ms/div or slower.
Not exactly.
The are actually 2 Roll modes, Dedicated and Auto Roll mode.
Auto is engaged at 50ms/div or slower and Dedicated is activated by the Roll button below the timebase control.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 01:39:30 pm »
My scope doesn't go into auto roll mode on horizontal settings of 50ms/div or slower. I have to manually use the Roll button to enable it. There's nothing in the manual about auto roll.

Unless it's in the latest V6.1.37R9 firmware. I'm still on V6.1.37R8 at the moment. Haven't got round to updating it yet.

Online graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 09:41:27 pm »
My scope doesn't go into auto roll mode on horizontal settings of 50ms/div or slower. I have to manually use the Roll button to enable it. There's nothing in the manual about auto roll.

Unless it's in the latest V6.1.37R9 firmware. I'm still on V6.1.37R8 at the moment. Haven't got round to updating it yet.

That's the way the roll mode on mine works and I like it.  I don't want it to roll unless I have it enabled.

I played with it some more and if it in not in roll mode and the sweep is faster than 50 ms/div and hit the roll button it goes to 50 ms/div.  It stays in roll mode for 50 ms/div or slower, and the roll button lights.   If the sweep is adjusted to 20 ms/div or faster the roll light goes out, but it returns to roll mode for 50 ms/div or slower.   It appears the scope remember the state of the roll button.

I do have an issue with the measure mode.  The measurements when I don't have the statistics enabled disappear when I hit clear screen, even the the measurement button is on and lit.  When statistics are enabled  they stay on screen when the soft button labels are gone.

I really want the measurements to be on screen with the soft buttons off.   I personally think this is an error on the UI, that is in every version of the firmware I have used.  Including the current 6.1.37R9 that I am using now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 01:57:12 am by graybeard »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 06:31:23 am »
Please be more observant to understand how these scopes work.
There are indeed 2 Roll modes, Auto and dedicated Roll mode.

In Auto mode the red flag Acquiring appears at slow timebase settings and until a full screen of data is gathered there will be zero on the display other than the Acquiring flag.

Dedicated Roll mode OTOH immediately displays the start of a sweep beginning on the right and as it is immediately visible no Acquiring flag is required.

Below examples, all @ 500ms/div (7s to fill the 14div display) are of some Stop'ped to demonstrate now the scope collects data when in either Roll mode with only Auto Roll mode displaying the Acquiring flag.
PNG5 is the only screenshot from the dedicated Roll mode activated by the button on the front panel.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 01:47:01 pm »
Surely if you don't press the Roll button, then the scope is still in "normal" mode whatever horizontal setting you set?  :-//

At settings of 100ms/div or slower the "Acquiring" message appears (it doesn't appear at 50ms/div), but surely that is just to let you know that a display will appear soon, as it will not appear on screen until it has travelled invisibly from right to left (for example, after 14 seconds with timebase set to 1s/div). Otherwise you might wonder why there's a blank display.

It seems to behave the same way as the faster timebase modes. The difference being that with the faster timebase modes, the signal travels so fast across the screen, that you don't notice the delay before it's shown on screen.

Roll mode shows the display rolling across the screen from right to left, as described in the manual. Calling the "normal" mode, "auto roll" mode as well, just seems confusing, as nothing is shown actually rolling. There's no mention of auto roll in the manual.

Offline ifonlyeverything

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 01:55:17 pm »

I'm using the latest firmware on mine. Roll mode kicks in at 50 ms/div. It can be disabled (just hit the roll button to turn it off) but I don't believe there's a way to disable it going into roll mode automatically. Would be a nice option in the UI.

The following users thanked this post: 807

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 02:01:24 pm »

I'm using the latest firmware on mine. Roll mode kicks in at 50 ms/div. It can be disabled (just hit the roll button to turn it off) but I don't believe there's a way to disable it going into roll mode automatically. Would be a nice option in the UI.

Ah right. In that case I'll stick with V6.1.37R8 for now. I would much prefer to enable it myself than to have it kick in automatically.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 02:03:59 pm by 807 »

Online graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 11:18:06 pm »
It only come on if it is turned on.   If it is off it will not come on.   It remembers the last state.

The following users thanked this post: 807

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 11:30:35 am »
It only come on if it is turned on.   If it is off it will not come on.   It remembers the last state.

So the same as in firmware R8 then.

I'll update my firmware from R8 to R9 today.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 01:39:36 pm »
Seems the OP is MIA.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf