Author Topic: 40 pin breakaway pin male headers  (Read 5951 times)

Offline LegionTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
40 pin breakaway pin male headers
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »
I'm looking at these on digikey and from the pictures I can't see a difference between the ones labeled breakaway and the ones that aren't. Headers not labeled breakaway are $0.67 each. Headers marked breakaway are $2.15. So the price difference is significant. Sometimes I find digikey makes distinctions between products where there isn't any. So I'm not sure if this is one of those cases.

If there is a difference, can you buy non-breakaway headers and snip them apart with side cutters? Or do they not snip "gracefully"?

Offline Hideki

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 40 pin breakaway pin male headers
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:24:04 pm »
Without knowing which actual parts you're talking about, it's impossible to see what the differences are. Are they from the same manufacturer? Are they made of the same materials? Is one priced in quantities of 10000?
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »
My guess is that the non-breakaway style is those without the little notches that center your cutters.  I use the really cheap tayda headers.  One difference I've found is the plastic isn't nearly as high temperature.  So be quick with the soldering.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »
Without knowing which actual parts you're talking about, it's impossible to see what the differences are. Are they from the same manufacturer? Are they made of the same materials? Is one priced in quantities of 10000?

Here's the $0.67 one: http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/PREC040SAAN-RC/S1012EC-40-ND/2774814
Here's the $2.15 one: http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/4-103741-0/A26509-40-ND/297917

Spec-wise I need 0.100" pin pitch, through hole. It will be used with breakout boards, breadboards and perfboard.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:44 pm »
For my use, I spent 20€ on ebay and got a few dozens of right angle, straight, male and female headers, single and dual row, for products I usually buy them form mouser.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:14 pm »

Here's the $0.67 one: http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/PREC040SAAN-RC/S1012EC-40-ND/2774814
Here's the $2.15 one: http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/4-103741-0/A26509-40-ND/297917

Spec-wise I need 0.100" pin pitch, through hole. It will be used with breakout boards, breadboards and perfboard.
One of those is amphenol, one of those isnt. Mystery solved ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:51 pm »

What is amphenol?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:44:35 pm »
So getting back to the original question. Can I snip non-breakaway header pins or does the plastic crush/crack?

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »
I've been known to buy extra-long female socket header strips and cut them to length.  I cut one pin extra because that pin gets crushed; then I file down the broken ends smooth, and no one's the wiser.

What, it's not like the whole damn strip is going to just crumble if you hold your pliers funny near it. :P

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »
I've been known to buy extra-long female socket header strips and cut them to length.  I cut one pin extra because that pin gets crushed; then I file down the broken ends smooth, and no one's the wiser.

What, it's not like the whole damn strip is going to just crumble if you hold your pliers funny near it. :P

Tim

You make a good point. Last thing. I've seen both square and machined round pin headers. Any particular reason to get one over the other? Should I get both?

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:57:35 pm »
I get the regular ones, and snap them with pliers. Every once in a while it doesn't break in the right spot, but I doubt the ones labeled "breakaway" would fare any better. Clearly they're all meant for it, there can't be many people using 36- and 40-pin straight header connections in one place.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:52:09 am »

What is amphenol?

Amphenol is a connector brand, they are big in .mil, aerospace and industrial work. Their stuff generally isnt cheap, and it doesnt surprise me to see that theirs header is more expensive than others.  Not to say that they dont make good stuff, but will it make a difference on a pin header? probably not.  And as for if you can snap apart headers that arent designated for it? Sure, as said, sometimes one pin at the joint gets broken, but at $0.67 / header its still cheaper than buying the expensive ones.

Offline Rudane

• Regular Contributor
    • Electrical Engineering 101
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:41 pm »
Cut them with a box cutter, and you'll never know the difference. Using a box cutter, I've never had any problems with the connector not breaking in the right spot. As mentioned earlier, the cheaper ones may melt if you hold heat on them too long.
Voltage appears across and current flows through.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:18:33 am »
Cut them with a box cutter...

What's that?

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:23 am »
We call it "a cutter" here :)

The "box" part has confused me.

Thank you for the picture.

Offline Crazy Ape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:00 pm »
We call it "a cutter" here :)

The "box" part has confused me.

Thank you for the picture.

While occasionally used to hijack aircraft, they are most often used to cut open cardboard boxes, or the tape sealing the boxes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf