EEVblog Electronics Community Forum

Electronics => Beginners => Topic started by: Zbig on June 03, 2014, 04:59:58 pm

Title: Small connectors table?
Post by: Zbig on June 03, 2014, 04:59:58 pm
Does anyone know of any resource with names and pictures of various small cable connectors gathered together? You know, like those ubiquitous small white (usually) plugs with crimped connectors, found inside almost any electronic device (often for fans). Or used in R/C hobby. I know there are various types of JST (eg. JST-XH), Molex and others. But I always have a hard time identifying them and find it rather frustrating as they often seem to differ in the details of the latch only, etc.

For instance, what's this one called?

Ok, that'd be, in fact, JST-XH, I guess. The question is still valid, though, as find it a bit of a nuisance having to figure it out for each and every of the almost identical little guys.

Oh, and the JST isn't a brand name but an acronym for Japan Solderless Terminal. Cool, who would have thought.
Title: Re: Small connectors table?
Post by: PointyOintment on June 06, 2014, 08:30:18 am
Looks like you've already found the Wikipedia article, which has a table of some of them, but without pictures of each. The closest thing I was able to find was this RCGroups thread (
Title: Re: Small connectors table?
Post by: xquercus on June 06, 2014, 03:47:36 pm
I hope someone chimes in with a comprehensive description of inline wire to board connectors but I'm doubtful such a thing exists.  What you are asking for is particularly useful when it comes to repair and you want to find a matching connector.  It sounds like you are trying to find replacements for repair.  I've been there and the best solution I've come up with is to start at the top level of the various manufacturer's wire to board connector catalog.  For example: ( (

One of the keys is to measure the center to center pin spacing.  That will help eliminate the majority of connectors.

Sometimes, it's just not possible to find a replacement connector.  In that case, I've just gotten the through hole pin spacing for the board connector and replaced both the plug and socket with a similar product.  Some connectors can be purchased with preterminated pins.  Even though they are expensive, I think it's worth considering buying pre-crimped pins if possible.