Author Topic: Small resistor value for a differentiator  (Read 520 times)

Offline renzomsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I post everywhere lol
    • YouTube Channel
Small resistor value for a differentiator
« on: October 24, 2019, 12:58:34 am »
I’m having a hard time understanding “pick a resistor value that is small enough so dVout/dt << dVin/dt” for a differentiator. I’m graphing 5 V DC supplied to this circuit, and even at 1M ohm and 1pF, the voltage across the capacitor reaches Vin in 10us. I don’t experiment with AC & ”high speed” yet

I get how a small resistor (R2) connected to another resistor (R1) in series, would cause a large portion of the supplied voltage to be across (R1). I’m trying to connect that to this technique and I need help. 🙏 Thank you.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Small resistor value for a differentiator
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 01:38:58 am »
When they  calculate I, they assume dVin/dt >> dVout/dt and summarily drop dVout/dt from the remainder of the calculation.  What I think they aren't pointing out is that dVin/dt is the result of a driving circuit with a very low impendance compared to R such that the source can charge the capacitor much faster than R can discharge it.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc-differentiator.html

This article also doesn't get into the driving impedance but I imagine they are talking about a perfect signal source which would have zero impedance or, more practically, 50 Ohms.  So, if R is 10K, 10K is >> 50 so it should work.  But that assumes that Vout is driving into a circuit with very high impedance.

All of which points to using an op amp on the output to buffer the voltage and provide a low impedance to the next stage.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/analogue_circuits/operational-amplifier-op-amp/analogue-differentiator-circuit.php

In the realm of analog computing, we go out of our way to avoid differentiators because they are high pass filters and allow noise to propagate.  An integrator, by definition, accumulates the noise and averages it out like a low pass filter.

The following users thanked this post: renzoms

Offline renzomsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I post everywhere lol
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Small resistor value for a differentiator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 01:52:55 am »
When they  calculate I, they assume dVin/dt >> dVout/dt and summarily drop dVout/dt from the remainder of the calculation.  What I think they aren't pointing out is that dVin/dt is the result of a driving circuit with a very low impendance compared to R such that the source can charge the capacitor much faster than R can discharge it.

Wow dude. Thanks I really understand more of this information now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf