Author Topic: SMD Capacitor Help needed - Asus Rog Strix G351G Repair  (Read 198 times)

Offline EpicLPerTopic starter

SMD Capacitor Help needed - Asus Rog Strix G351G Repair
« on: March 02, 2024, 09:17:51 pm »
Heya,

I'm currently trying to repair a laptop (Asus Rog Strix G351G) from a friend and I have very limited SMD knowledge, but I found a blown SMD cap and unsoldered it, now the short on other capacitors is completely gone. Measuring the blown one also shows it's shorted entirely.

Now my question is: Is there any way to find out what value it is? There are very similar ones around it, potentially even the same. I also have a few spare boards from cameras and so on laying around, but I don't think they might be the same value.

I really have barely to no knowledge how these brown SMD caps work, but I do know that caps usually have different voltage ratings and capacitance. So I highly doubt "just soldering one in from an unknown board and hoping for the best" would work here, even if it would be the easiest solution :)
I also don't know how to get circuit diagrams (yet alone how to read them correctly) for this specific laptop.

Thanks already for your time and help!

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: SMD Capacitor Help needed - Asus Rog Strix G351G Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 09:49:56 pm »
That is most likely a decoupling capacitor only and very likely the same as the identically looking ones next to it.

Probably 100n, anything higher rated than about 20V should be OK. It may even work without it as there is most likely plenty of decoupling capacitance around and one missing will not matter much. The exact value is unlikely to be critical here.

There isn't really a way to find out what the original value was unless you have either schematic with the value written on (good luck finding one) or another identical board with the capacitor still good and there you could desolder and measure it.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 09:57:38 pm »
That is most likely a decoupling capacitor only and very likely the same as the identically looking ones next to it.

Probably 100n, anything higher rated than about 20V should be OK. It may even work without it as there is most likely plenty of decoupling capacitance around and one missing will not matter much. The exact value is unlikely to be critical here.

There isn't really a way to find out what the original value was unless you have either schematic with the value written on (good luck finding one) or another identical board with the capacitor still good and there you could desolder and measure it.

I happened to find a schematic for it, but I really don't know how to read it  :phew:
I marked the cap in the screenshot, but not sure where to get its values from. This has been posted in another forum where someone asked for cap values.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 10:00:02 pm »
Ah, seems like I found it on another PDF :) This seems to be the exact values.
Now to find a matching one somewhere tho ^^

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 11:57:32 pm »
Good News :D The laptop works again!
At least for now. I'm still not sure if the random capacitor I put in was the right one, but the nF and size seemed to match or was even above (my multimeter was really wonky and showed values all over the place, but when it shortly settled it was above 10uF even) so I hope it'll keep working :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf