Author Topic: Using RJ11 connector with general wire  (Read 720 times)

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Using RJ11 connector with general wire
« on: October 03, 2022, 06:18:32 pm »
I want to use RJ11 connector with a general wire like USB wire, I want to know does it works? like the punching pins connects properly to this kind of wire?
I also want to know does 28 or 26AWG wire will work for this kind of job? or how could i know max AWG could be used?

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
Re: Using RJ11 connector with general wire
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 06:39:33 pm »
It will work provided the wire is roughly compatible (that's a "no duh!" answer, I realize).

Typical wire meant for RJ-11 jacks is around 24 AWG. Some RJ-11 jacks are spec'd to work with 24, 26, or 28 AWG. You'll have to look at the actual part you're planning to use and either read the spec and/or try it. Look also at the design of the insulation piercing part. If it has two teeth, one on either side, and captures the copper in the "V", it's meant for solid wire. If it has teeth (or tooth) that hit only the middle of the copper, it's designed for stranded. Most phone wire that had RJ-11 plugs on it was stranded.

The following users thanked this post: sairfan1

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 06:52:38 pm »
It'll work, but will not be reliable. RJ-11 plugs are insulating-piercing types, with the blades oriented longtitudal to the wire. This means that pulling on the wires will just slit them and they'll come right out.
Using the correct cable, an RJ-11 plug has a triangular plastic "bar" that's pressed into the outer insulation sleeve for stress relief. No outer sleeve = no stress relief.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 07:22:06 pm »
RJ connectors crimp nicely onto 1mm pitch ribbon cable
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 04:07:20 am »
This is an interesting question i always like to repair my own phone cord lines although i used the regular phone cord wire because that's all i needed.
I liked the way you can press down the pins with a small screwdriver and get them to stick into the wires and the way the plastic crushes down on the cable jacket for added pull strength.

However, i would have to say that using the right connector can make or break any project.  A better idea would be to research the type of wire you use and connectors usually used with that and go with that instead.  That will help guarantee success. 

Many ideas like this have been tried and tested over many years, and to go out on a limb with a new idea is always a risk.  If you go with a tried and tested solution you almost always get a success.  If you dont, you end up in uncharted waters where surprises can come up, and they are almost never easy to predict.  For example, there are problems that can come up with thermal cycling that are very hard to predict and they dont appear until months or years later.  The wire metal expands and contacts and the connector metal expands and contracts.  The can loosen up the connection if not done right.

So my suggestion is go with a tried and proven technique and i think you will be happy with the results.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 08:22:17 am »
Maybe, but is it a good idea to have a usb  lead that might accidentally get plugged in your phone line.
A rining signal will kill a usb port stone dead..
It doesnt help the person who might have to follow up or blunder into your lab.
Horses for courses 'an all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf