Author Topic: sn74ls86n IC output voltage lower than 5v  (Read 809 times)

Offline ElyxircuitTopic starter

sn74ls86n IC output voltage lower than 5v
« on: February 22, 2022, 03:35:43 am »
When using a sn74ls86n IC (powering it correctly) when I input 5v to input 1A, and ground to input 1B I measure output 1Y as 3-4v. Can anyone help explain why the output is not 5v?
So, you're reading my post. Thanks!

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
Re: sn74ls86n IC output voltage lower than 5v
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 03:47:06 am »
Shhh, no need to shout.

Because it's has a TTL output stage with totem-pole transistor configuration so it doesn't go all the way to 5V. In 5V TTL, logic 1 is defined as > 2.4V.

See the typical output schematic in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor%E2%80%93transistor_logic

The following users thanked this post: Elyxircuit

Offline ElyxircuitTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 04:14:13 am »
If logic 1 is > 2.4V, then if one of the inputs to the ic is > 2.4v then will it still count as a logic 1 to the ic?
So, you're reading my post. Thanks!

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 04:40:26 am »
Two important specs for any digital gate:
VIHmin is the minimum input voltage that is guaranteed to be recognized as logic 1.
VOHmin is the minimum output voltage that is produced for logic 1.
Obviously, for this to work reliably, VOH > VIH
Look at the data sheet for these values and the conditions under which they are specified (such as input current, etc.)
For most CMOS familes, VOHmin is close to the positive supply voltage, but for TTL the guaranteed output is considerably lower.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 02:22:11 pm »
I guess you don't work with 74XX I.C.'s much, even the spec sheet says it won't go to +5vdc. Look at those nifty things called datasheets.
Turn off the CAPS, you know better......Unless you are using an ancient 1940's teletype machine for your terminal, then you may not have a choice.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 02:34:40 pm »
By the way, if you need to drive a CMOS input from a TTL output, both on +5V supply, a resistor from the TTL output to +5V (roughly 10 k) will pull up the voltage higher to match the somewhat higher input voltage requirement of the CMOS input.  This is a quantitative question, so look at the data sheets to determine voltage requirements and current capability of the output.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf