Author Topic: Tektronix 2213a trace problem  (Read 13231 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tektronix 2213a trace problem
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »
Don't suppose any one would want to help me test this thing?  I'm still learning and don't want to blow it up,  or wind up killing my self probing something I should not probe. Better safe than sorry, right?
Study, study,study that's how I started.
Understand basic CRO principles, it's not that hard.
There is a massive amount of info in the Service manuals, IF you know what you're looking for.
Simple signal tracing (backwards or forwards) will often find faults or at least the area where a problem exists, then either basic component testing or diagnostic skill will find the offending parts.

The areas where one needs to be careful is :mains, PDA and deflection output stages.

But as often the case with CRO's you'll need another scope to diagnose.  ::)

But always post a link to the SM you are looking at so we can all be on the same page.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 04:30:02 pm »
Don't suppose any one would want to help me test this thing?  I'm still learning and don't want to blow it up,  or wind up killing my self probing something I should not probe. Better safe than sorry, right?

Certainly better safe than sorry, right.

It does take some degree of confidence to start prowling around inside an oscilloscope. The first things to check, as others have said, are the power supply voltages. Since you have a beam, you probably don't need to worry about the HV section itself (yet), and the low voltage supplies can be checked with a simple DMM. This isn't too risky. You will need to use an alligator clip to connect the negative lead of your voltmeter to the chassis ground. This keeps you from having to use both hands on probes; you will just carefully need to put the positive probe to the PS test points.

I haven't been able to find a _free_ copy of the 2213a Service Manual, and as I noted before, the front end of the 2213a is more similar to the 2215 model than to the 2213 model, so you will need both SMs eventually. Then you can follow the procedure in the 2213 manual to test your PSU voltages. The manuals are too large for me to attach them here but you can find them easily enough using Google.

Using the Tek SMs can be very intimidating if you haven't done it before, but the schematics are liberally scattered with test voltages indicated all along the paths, and it is often possible, with care, to track down faulty components on the boards using a DMM to check these voltages in a logical manner. However, this does take some skill and knowledge.

So the first thing is to get the manuals, study the appropriate sections (figure out how to locate the board illustrations and schematic sections for the Power Supply voltage test points and the Horizontal Amplifier, for example), and then decide whether you feel confident enough to tear into the thing physically, or even whether it is worth your while.

Also, posting the problem on Tek-specific websites just might turn up someone who has had the same problem and who can point you to a specific component or section that may have failed. This will cut the problem down considerably.

ETA:  FWIW, here's the 2213 Operator's Manual, small enough to attach here but probably not helpful as far as this specific problem is concerned:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:52:06 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Redcat

• Regular Contributor
  • Ask why not, not why.
    • redcatimaging
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 04:53:23 pm »
Nothing to add to alsetalokin4017s answer ;). Follow his advice.

What you can do and always should start with, is measureing the basic voltages from the supply (i'm pretty sure they are ok, but do it). There are obvious testpoints on the board which say... "+..V", "-..V" ...many different supply Voltages have to be present.

Maybe you are very lucky and can see a faulty component by eye if you know where to look (rarely, but sometimes you can see broken resistors, or burned components).

Unfortunately i have only the schematics for my 2215A and not for your 2213A and I really don't know if the boards are the same.
What you could do is, download the PDF with the 2215A service manual from http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/index.php?dir=Tektronix/Tektronix_-_2215A and look if your boards look the same.
You will find the PDF for the 2213 (non A) there too. The old Tek schematics are very good and detailed.
The service PDF for the 2213 "A" is not easy to get. But maybe a 2213A owner can post a link. You will need a manual.

Get a basic understanding, how your scope works.

figure out how to locate the board illustrations and schematic sections for the Power Supply voltage test points and the Horizontal Amplifier, for example
Right. Just look at the board. For hours if you like. Without voltage plugged in. Study and compare.

One additional question: when you have a very slow sweep speed (this way you can see the problem better), switch set to GND, the beam goes very fast in the beginning and then slows down right?

Happy testing

Voltcraft 630-2,Tek 2215A,Tek 475,really handy DIY microcontroller component tester (R/C/D/Q...), ZD-915, ZD-931,Voltcraft 1062D - of course hacked :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 04:54:25 pm »
Using the Tek SMs can be very intimidating if you haven't done it before, but the schematics are liberally scattered with test voltages indicated all along the paths, and it is often possible, with care, to track down faulty components on the boards using a DMM to check these voltages in a logical manner. However, this does take some skill and knowledge.
Quite right, but in most CRO's, the scope must be set to a default setup for these DC values to be valid.
The decription of this process is not always apparent or easy to find, but is always in the manual somewhere.
RTFM
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 11:10:24 pm »

Please Don't take this the wrong way; Unless you get really lucky a project like that is way over the head of a beginner.
Yes you can hurt yourself.
No walking you through this over the Internet is not a wise idea.

You need to pick a smaller less complex project to start with.

Sue AF6LJ

Offline Redcat

• Regular Contributor
  • Ask why not, not why.
    • redcatimaging
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 05:39:06 pm »
Thinking twice about it again too...

It really is a hard project for a beginner. It can hurt you. Without basic understanding it will be hard to solve, even with the blogs help, for you.
As i said before, you can look at it unplugged for the beginning and try to understand the manual.

If you feel not ready to repair it, don't do it.

Buy another - working  ;) - scope. One scope is no scope  ;D.

Do it later when you have more experience and feel ready - it is a keeper, repairable and definitely a very interesting project.

You need to pick a smaller less complex project to start with.
  :-+
Voltcraft 630-2,Tek 2215A,Tek 475,really handy DIY microcontroller component tester (R/C/D/Q...), ZD-915, ZD-931,Voltcraft 1062D - of course hacked :)

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »
I'm inclined to agree, at this point.  :-[    Unless you can find someone on the Tek forums who has had exactly the same problem and can point you to the exact component to replace.  It's probably not worth the time and effort to learn to use the SMs, to disassemble, troubleshoot, reassemble etc to get it working properly again.
It's an advanced project. A fully functional 2213a should cost around 125-150 dollars US on Ebay. ISTR that this scope sold for 1,200 dollars (with 2 probes) in 1985 when it was first marketed, and that a refurbished and calibrated one still goes for 600 dollars from the major test equipment vendors today...
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline XionTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 02:28:01 am »
Yes, sadly... I knew that, a lot of people i know have warned me already any way, not to try fixing an oscilloscope untill im more experiened... I unerstand that i'm just starting out and thats a huge task to undertake as a beginner, but hey... In the future... I'll fix it and keep it! No sence in throwing it out, after all! That and i already found another one, its a 3 hour drive to pick it up, but i am getting a Tek 2215 i think he said, 2 function gens, and a bench top power supply.  I really dont want my oscilloscope to kill me! I have so much i want to build! O:

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 04:36:56 am »
Yes, sadly... I knew that, a lot of people i know have warned me already any way, not to try fixing an oscilloscope untill im more experiened... I unerstand that i'm just starting out and thats a huge task to undertake as a beginner, but hey... In the future... I'll fix it and keep it! No sence in throwing it out, after all! That and i already found another one, its a 3 hour drive to pick it up, but i am getting a Tek 2215 i think he said, 2 function gens, and a bench top power supply.  I really dont want my oscilloscope to kill me! I have so much i want to build! O:

That is a good deal; take your time, learn and you will fix it.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline XionTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »
Found a working T912 for $30.

Offline Redcat

• Regular Contributor
  • Ask why not, not why.
    • redcatimaging
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 05:11:55 pm »
Found a working T912 for $30.
Very cool. It's ancient  :-+ . A 10MHz one right? Lets hope it really works.

I think for the price you can't go wrong (ok..if you can get a "working" 2215 for a good price too, get the 2215) and it may be worth even more than 30 bucks. At least what i've seen on ebay recently. Not scope time at the moment, high prices.

When you get more experienced, you will buy a more modern, faster one. But for the moment i would take it. It won't be the last one.
At first I wanted a scope...and now I have 4 ;).

If you take it, please post a photo of it  :D.
Tom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf