Author Topic: So seller says the 9v Dc power supply for my fz200 camera is fine. I say nope.  (Read 1360 times)

Offline GrettleTopic starter

so I measured with no load 9v, but product says 8.4v, its a dummy battery, I dont want to fry my fz200 camera

Spoke with seller, they said it's fine. I call BS. What do you peeps say?

Product I bought
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193073560761

What do u think pls? 🙏
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:54:49 am by Grettle »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Reddit post "Help pls. So bought this 8.4v power adapter, for my fz200, but the measured voltage reads 9v." has been removed.

How did you measure it? Under load it is normal for a power supply's output to drop a bit.

Tx 4 reply, sry, I butchered my post, so I measured with no load 9v, but product says 8.4v, its a dummy battery, I dont want to fry my fz200 camera

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
9v is not that much more (7% ish), I would be surprised if Panasonic made their input voltage with such a low tolerance that it would cause a problem.

Here is a thread where somebody used a 9v supply for a FZ-1000 with no issues.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3808507

With that said, it's advertised as precisely 8.4v, and it's not precisely 8.4v, which you can show easily, so dispute it.  I don't know about eBay but on say Aliexpress you'd probably win that.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
I suspect it will probably be fine, but the best way to be sure is to check the parts used in the camera.  Eg input capacitor voltage rating and main power regulation chip model.

Additionally: the seller might be right about loading dropping the voltage.  Try connecting a load to your probes, eg a 100ohm resistor or so.

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
Another thread, explaining how some (or probably most?) Panasonic cameras will detect a continuous DC source:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4142510

My bets also would be on that 9V thingie (that will drop some voltage under real load) should be safe to use.

(Side note: Other manufacturers do a better job of documenting compatibe acessoires- my Nikon D7100 is officially rated 7/9Volts DC- as it accepts a battery grip, that is also compatible with AA cells, there will be a range of 6x1.2V for NimH or 6x1.5V for Alkaline...

Offline ozcar

• Frequent Contributor
I have no idea about in Antarctica where you are, but in Sydney where the Ebay seller said the item was located, it would not be permitted to sell something exactly as shown in the listing photos (absence of insulation on the pins of the mains plug). That has been a requirement there for many years now.

You can argue how much benefit that requirement brings, but it is warning that the item does not have official approval for sale in Australia, and I am a bit reluctant to purchase items like that.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
You are unlikely to cause any damage, caps will probably be rated for 10V if not 16V (next lowest common value is 6.3V.)

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
so I measured with no load 9v, but product says 8.4v, its a dummy battery, I dont want to fry my fz200 camera

Spoke with seller, they said it's fine. I call BS. What do you peeps say?

8.4 V instead of 9 V is not dangerous.

8.4 V looks like Li-Ion charger for 2-element battery.
If it is really used to charge li-ion battery, then 8.4 V is okay and 9 V is bad.
9 V will burn out your battery. Because it's maximum voltage is 8.4 V.

If it works as expected, just relax. 8.4 V is good.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
I agree.  You needn't worry about applying 9V to a circuit that specifies 8.4V.  I would be very surprised if it caused any problem.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
oh, I didn't noticed that you measure 9 V and device specs is 8.4 V. It can be dangerous.

If 9 V is applied directly to the li-ion battery, it will disrupt it.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
If 9 V is applied directly to the li-ion battery, it will disrupt it.

Note that there are no batteries involved... the battery box is a fake -- it's just used to interface the power supply to the camera.

Ty every1 for reply 👍
I plugged the dc power supply and all is well. Fingers crossed it doesnt go bang in the future.
I will think about whether I do eBay item not as described.
Stay safe
G

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf