Author Topic: SOD-123 adapter  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
SOD-123 adapter
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:00:40 am »
I am working on a project that uses an SOD-123 constant current regulator.   I thought I could use an adapter for 0805 it is not a good fit.  I run a search on eBay but could not find any adapter specific for SOD-123.   Should I be looking for adapters for some another package that may be size compatible ?     

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: SOD-123 adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:09:01 am »
The SCHMARTBOARD  201-0003-01 will work (capable of 4x SOD-123 components), as will their 203-0001-01 (please note this is for a 4 pack, so less expensive per board vs. the first link, though the 1st link is more versatile).

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:19:00 pm »
I like the second SCHMARTBOARD.  High quality for sure,  but it is a bit more that I would like to spend. 

I have been looking at the adapters I have on hand and at a SMD solder learning board and one of the following will work:

1) Mount them in diagonal in a 0805 adapter, so it has each leg in opposing pads in two slots.   An 8x adapter can allow for 6x slanted.

2) Mount them in a SOIC adapter, spanning 4 pins, fitting up to 4 in the adapter.     

3) Mount them in 1206 adapters (which I don't have and I have just ordered for next time)

I am going to go with #1.   It is more straight forward.

Thanks once more nano.   

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »
I like the second SCHMARTBOARD.  High quality for sure,  but it is a bit more that I would like to spend. 

I have been looking at the adapters I have on hand and at a SMD solder learning board and one of the following will work:

1) Mount them in diagonal in a 0805 adapter, so it has each leg in opposing pads in two slots.   An 8x adapter can allow for 6x slanted.

2) Mount them in a SOIC adapter, spanning 4 pins, fitting up to 4 in the adapter.     

3) Mount them in 1206 adapters (which I don't have and I have just ordered for next time)

I am going to go with #1.   It is more straight forward.

Thanks once more nano.   
You're welcome.  :)

I assume you mean one of these (0805, 0603, 0402 to DIP)?

FWIW, FR4 DIY protoboards might be of interest as 0805 fits nicely between holes (.100 spacing).

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:21:57 am »
I assume you mean one of these (0805, 0603, 0402 to DIP)?

Yes

FWIW, FR4 DIY protoboards might be of interest as 0805 fits nicely between holes (.100 spacing).

I am mounting this project in one of those boards and it did occur to me and tried to position the SOD-123 device would fit with the little leads resting tangentially to two adjacent rings.  I thought the adapters would provide larger pads with better power dissipation, but I may be wrong.  I will be mounting four units of this device

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1796577.pdf?_ga=1.77469846.243815323.1449109086

Recently I have been toying with one of these other boards which seem to be a little better for SMD.   I was able to solder an SOT-23 and 0406 resistors.   But not using it in this project.

http://www.robotshop.com/en/100x75mm-protoboard-double-sided.html

Back to the round pads breadboard, would you solder the part over the rims of the holes or pre-fill the holes and solder on centers ?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 04:29:52 am »
I am mounting this project in one of those boards and it did occur to me and tried to position the SOD-123 device would fit with the little leads resting tangentially to two adjacent rings.  I thought the adapters would provide larger pads with better power dissipation, but I may be wrong.  I will be mounting four units of this device...

Recently I have been toying with one of these other boards which seem to be a little better for SMD.   I was able to solder an SOT-23 and 0406 resistors.   But not using it in this project.

Back to the round pads breadboard, would you solder the part over the rims of the holes or pre-fill the holes and solder on centers ?
Another possibility would be use a 1206 adapter PCB (example; $0.3625 per breakout board), as the dimensions should work quite nicely (with nice large pads). And to enhance matters further, they're easy to find and inexpensive to boot.  :-+ The other link to various package adapters might be useful as well. Best of luck.  :)

In terms of the PTH dual sided prototyping boards (I prefer FR4 to FR2 <fiberglass vs. paper respectively>), but it's entirely up to you. Personally I prefer to fill the void & solder the part in one go and/or just solder to the rim of the hole.  ;) Please note that my ESD rubber matting keeps the solder from flowing to adjacent holes (PCB lays flat on ESD mat).

Another interesting adapter board and/or other breakout boards for other packages that come in at a much lower price point vs. Schmart Boards (I have to admit that the Schmart Boards are nice though; I grabbed all remaining on the shelves in a Radio Shack that was set to be closed).  >:D Quality is likely be diminished vs. contracted PCB houses however (I haven't the boards the do a proper comparison).Best of Luck, and I hope this helps.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf