Author Topic: Solder station recommendations for someone who thinks the FX-888D sucks.  (Read 7718 times)

Offline peps1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • if you can't open it, you don't own it!
Hi, looking for a new solder station, looking for something in the FX-888D price range, but actually worth that money.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Forum user SteveyG has done a lot of soldering station reviews which you can find here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/the-sdg-electronics-soldering-station-comparisonshootout-thread/

and on his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZzwMlLVLdOBBz8pwjt9CJhEJFYVfHSH2

Some of these reviewed stations have their own discussion threads here too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 11:42:57 pm by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: peps1

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Just as a general recommendation - only look at stuff with cartridge tips. This alone provides a huge improvement over Hakko.
Alex

Offline slavoy

• Regular Contributor
In this price range, it is optimal to look for a soldering station compatible with T12 tips. There are many options available on the market, including the original Hakko (FX-951), which was the one that invented these tips. Most of them are cheap Chinese products, so the build quality may vary. However, the soldering performance itself is typically very similar among them. I recommend looking for a soldering station with a sturdy base, sleep mode, and, if possible, a construction that incorporates a substantial amount of metal.
Depending on whether you prefer a separate soldering iron holder or an integrated station, some brands to consider are AiXun, OSS Team, Aifen, i2C and Sugon.

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
Use bigger tips and more heat.  Don't blame the iron.  70 watts and 480 C is plenty of iron.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
Use bigger tips and more heat.  Don't blame the iron.  70 watts and 480 C is plenty of iron.

And flux.

But yeah, if you think a genuine 888D outright  "sucks" with no explanation that's probably more a matter of technique than the iron.

Offline slavoy

• Regular Contributor
Japanese 70W doesn't help much with this design where the tip is separated from the heating element with a temperature sensor. I have seen soldering irons of this type with a power of 100W, and they behaved practically the same way. It's an outdated design. It doesn't provide continuous power when soldering large components in succession.

• Regular Contributor
But yeah, if you think a genuine 888D outright  "sucks" with no explanation that's probably more a matter of technique than the iron.

It has nothing to do with technique and I didn't think an explanation on why the 888D sucks was needed as it is so well documented, but here are a few issues, value for money,  80's alarm clock interface, lack of firmware, a pain for running multiple tips, notoriously bad calibration, only 70W, They sold so many as it has Hakko printed on it, not due to it being a best in class iron.

I don't think anyone in 2023 can say with a straight face that the Hakko FX-888D at £185 is a good value proposition. 

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
I also don't like my FX888D, so I bought some chinese alternatives, which were using same tips, like CXG or Yuhua. Same sluggish performance.
Then friend suggested me T12. I tried several ones and finally found an excellent choice.

So I suggest you to look into T12 direction.

P.S.  I've spent about $500 for all that, until I found the one I needed :)
That would buy me something cool indeed :)

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
You can get a weller WR2000D
That one sucks real hard.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
When my FX-888 was working extra poorly, I found it had 936 tips in it. They look the same.
The air gap to the heating element is bigger so you get much worse power output to the tip.
FX-888 tips are a tighter fit. Still an airgap there which I think makes it not a great soldering iron when you need a lot of heat.

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor

It has nothing to do with technique and I didn't think an explanation on why the 888D sucks was needed as it is so well documented, but here are a few issues, value for money,  80's alarm clock interface, lack of firmware, a pain for running multiple tips, notoriously bad calibration, only 70W, They sold so many as it has Hakko printed on it, not due to it being a best in class iron.

I don't think anyone in 2023 can say with a straight face that the Hakko FX-888D at £185 is a good value proposition.

I bought mine for 100 euros on sale from an authorized shop. I agree at  £185 it is not a good value proposition. But at the price, given the availability of parts etc. it's good enough.

Not everything needs upgradeable firmware. Sometimes a soldering station is just a soldering station.
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
I do a lot of soldering(60/40 leaded) assembling boards, all 2oz copper. The FX888D with T18-S4 tip easily handles anything from soldering individual SOIC pins, 0805 and TO252 parts, also THT. The T18-S4 receives criticism for being conical from those who have not tried it.
This post shows an example of the size joints it's capable of.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/smd-soldering-feedback/msg4904690/#msg4904690
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:25:44 pm by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
They are 149.99 right now at amazon.co.uk. This is UK pricing, though. They are a lot less in Asia.

• Regular Contributor
Not everything needs upgradeable firmware. Sometimes a soldering station is just a soldering station.

True, and sometimes a soldering station is just a soldering station....but money is always money!  ;D

I do a lot of soldering(60/40 leaded) assembling boards, all 2oz copper. The FX888D with T18-S4 tip easily handles anything from soldering individual SOIC pins, 0805 and TO252 parts, also THT. The T18-S4 receives criticism for being conical from those who have not tried it.
This post shows an example of the size joints it's capable of.

Oh, I'm talking from experience here, sure I'm just a hobbyist and have only started making money for electronics in the last few years but have been running a T18-S4 tip all that time until I saw the chisel light.

Totally get much of this is subjective, I just stand by my view that there are objectively far better options out there for the price point. For me.

Have an Aixun T3A Soldering Station on the way and hopefully, that will fit me better than the FX888D.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
Those JBC cartridge tips are impressive.
What sorts of soldering are you doing?

HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Oh, I'm talking from experience here, sure I'm just a hobbyist and have only started making money for electronics in the last few years but have been running a T18-S4 tip all that time until I saw the chisel light.

I'm in the same boat, although I wouldn't say the FX-888 sucks.  It's reliable, the tips are great and everything lasts a long time.  I use the bevelled-cone tips, like T18-S6/7 and I like them a lot better than anything else I tried.  However, it is a bit slower, it struggles with any type of large joint and I'm sure it can be improved upon.  It is a high quality unit with mediocre performance, but I can do very nice work with it.  I would say it is the least that I would find acceptable for someone not concerned about speed.  And I have the older non-D version so I wasn't subjected to whatever silliness that entails.  I paid less than $100 for mine and they are currently $115 here in the US, at twice that price I'd have to agree that they aren't worth the money.

I'm also looking for an upgrade.  I was going to grab a Pace ADS200 on sale, but TEquipment couldn't manage to close the deal so I had time to start looking at alternatives and I'm thinking of going the KSGER (or AiXun maybe) route just because they have a really nice variety of T12 tips at low cost.  I'm not sure I actually need more power than a T12.  Which version /handle did you get?  Does anyone know if the KSGER handles will work with the AiXun T3A unit?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
Those JBC cartridge tips are impressive.
What sorts of soldering are you doing?

Mainly TH and chunky legs at that, it's vintage audio stuff 90% of the time). But, also plan to get to grips with SMD this year, as now I could put a bit of money back into the workbench so just grabbed a hotplate and an electronic microscope (as my near vision has decided to leave me!).

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Well not the same price range but Weller offers some good soldering stations.    The WE1010 is not that bad but all of the low end stations have their short comings.

Online BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
Well not the same price range but Weller offers some good soldering stations.    The WE1010 is not that bad but all of the low end stations have their short comings.

I would say they are about equivalent in performance other than the UI and color scheme. I like my Ksger t12 better than my WE1010.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Why is that?
copper is like gold in china so they skimp on the tip construction using loads of steel. The end result is these T12 clones are shit compared to a Weller for medium and larger work.
SMT doesn't need a lot of (iron) heat so the KSGER T12 I have does okay there, but they don't have a decent stand and the wand is primitive, just silicone tubing for a grip lol. So I dislike the clone ergonomics. The WE1010 is really for bigger stuff.

Thought I would buy a real JBC and found they have an extra layer of markup on the price, you have to buy through old school retailers. So the price was way too high, so high that Metcal or others are contenders. Even a JBC handle or tip was costly and you can't buy anything from an electronics disti like Mouser, Digi-Key etc. and have to deal with old fart co.

Online BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
I don't have any issue with this because I only use genuine Hakko tips.

Offline liaifat85

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Here is a comparison between Hakko and Weller. This may help you take a good decision: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1063-weller-we1010-vs-hakko-fx888d-soldering-station/

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Japanese 70W doesn't help much with this design where the tip is separated from the heating element with a temperature sensor. I have seen soldering irons of this type with a power of 100W, and they behaved practically the same way. It's an outdated design. It doesn't provide continuous power when soldering large components in succession.
It's crazy how little recognition the temperature controlled induction stations still get here after over a decade (ie. Quick, the slav soldering station of choice).

PS. Metcal gets a mention often enough of course, but that's a bit pricey.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:23:58 am by Marco »

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
This is almost interesting. These comparison charts are from the Hakko website.
Comparing the FX951 to the FX888D across the two charts, there isn't a big difference.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:43:48 am by xavier60 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf