Author Topic: Soldering a 0.5mm pitch FPC connector  (Read 5082 times)

Offline SolderOcelotTopic starter

• Contributor
Soldering a 0.5mm pitch FPC connector
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
So I'm going to try to solder a keyboard connector on a MacBook A1502 and it I'll have to solder 30 pins with (I believe) 0.5mm pitch distance.

Is this doable without a heat gun? So just a soldering iron with a very sharp point?

Any other tips will be helpful as I'm a beginner.

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yum

• Regular Contributor
Re: Soldering a 0.5mm pitch FPC connector
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:00:12 pm »
This is doable, use really thin unleaded solder and lots of flux. You need a really narrow tip on your soldering iron!
Forgot to mention, post a picture and it would be easier to give more accurate advice!

The following users thanked this post: SolderOcelot

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:09:19 pm »
a too sharp point isn't necessarily the best, you need flux and maybe some solder wick

https://youtu.be/5NSSsKfU4rA

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:14:34 pm »
This is doable, use really thin unleaded solder and lots of flux.
Cool! So could you tell me why unleaded solder would be better? I'm all for saving the environment but that aside.

youtube video
Will be sure to check this out as well
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:19:09 pm by Faloude »

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:51 pm »
I think the point is that proper flux and temperature controlled iron is arguably more important than technique.  I often see people talk about drag soldering on this forum like its some unique technique but with adequate flux, a decent (temp controlled with a smallish tip) iron it can actually be quite hard to make solder bridges.  Regardless of whether you "drag", or touch each pin one at a time with a tiny bit of solder on your iron, doesn't make a difference, let surface tension and flux do the work.  So yes, experience helps with knowing what tip to use, and what temperature, but there isn't anything magical or even skilled about "drag soldering".

For connectors, you can of course use hot air, I worry about the plastic parts and try to shield them as best as possible. The connectors are designed to withstand the soldering profile of an oven, but with manual hot air, it can be quite easy to melt the plastic of the connectors given that their temperature is a function of hot air temp, air flow, distance from nozzle to board etc.. So if you can get your iron in there - I'd do it that way.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:09 pm »
So if you can get your iron in there - I'd do it that way.
Well I don't have a heatgun anyway so it'll be the iron way. Just heat the pins and pull the connector then?

I wanted to use desoldering wick to remove the connector but I've been told that's not a good idea.

The following users thanked this post: DuPe

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 01:38:29 am »
I wasn't aware you had to desolder the connector, this is actually more difficult.  In this instance, if the connector is defective I would go for hot air, as it wouldn't matter if the connector is damaged in the process.

Desoldering using an iron - I would flood the connector pins, intentionally creating bridges so you can heat them all up at the same time and remove the connector.  Then mop up the excess solder with a solder sucker (desoldering tool) and wick.  Unfortunately, many flex cable connectors have mounting pads at either end for mechanical stability.  These are far enough away from the rest of the pins so that you cannot heat them up at the same time as the pins, so it makes removing then form a board a right arse without hot air.

Do you have a photo of the connector in question?

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:54 am »
For a bunch of fine pitch pins, I prefer lots of flux and wipe or drag soldering.  A 'big' chisel (about 1-2mm) is good for that, concave tip is probably the best though.

You could use paste and hot air. I rarely use hot air because it usually takes longer and has more risk of blowing away other components.

I messed up a design this summer and my punishment was to add 8 pin 0.5mm pitch J-lead with 30awg wire.

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 02:34:23 pm »
This is doable, use really thin unleaded solder and lots of flux.
Cool! So could you tell me why unleaded solder would be better? I'm all for saving the environment but that aside.

youtube video
Will be sure to check this out as well

Sorry, I’m not sure why I told you to use unleaded solder. What I meant to say was to use LEADED solder. It’s much better, easier to work with and gives better results.
i Hate unleaded solder

Offline EPTech

• Regular Contributor
    • EP Technical Services
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:42:30 pm »
Hi there,

Do NOT use leaded solder mixed in with unleaded boards and components. You will create inter-metallic layers which can cause all sorts of unwanted trouble in the long term. I do not remember exactly what kind of trouble but I was thought in a seminar about lead free soldering. I only ever use leaded solder to repair old stuff for the same reason.

Happy soldering...
Kind greetings,

Pascal.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 04:33:44 pm »
Hi there,

Do NOT use leaded solder mixed in with unleaded boards and components. You will create inter-metallic layers which can cause all sorts of unwanted trouble in the long term. I do not remember exactly what kind of trouble but I was thought in a seminar about lead free soldering. I only ever use leaded solder to repair old stuff for the same reason.

Happy soldering...

just wick off the old solder, lead free is mostly tin so a little of it isn't going to make much difference when soldering with 60/40 or 63/37

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf