Author Topic: Soldering Equipment Help  (Read 4214 times)

Offline shimanoleTopic starter

• Contributor
Soldering Equipment Help
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:01:26 pm »
I posted this in a Hakko related thread but thought this might be the best place for posting.

I've never soldered a day in my life but I'm committed to learning to complete several projects.  1st I need to terminate some single color LED strip lights to wire and I have about 10 vintage HiFi tube and solid state amps that I plan on repairing/modifying etc.

After doing a ton of research I'm hoping someone can help with the following:

1.  Soldering station.  I might use it 3 or 4 hours a week tops.  I'm looking at T12 stuff like Ksger (can't find the Bakon) and Hakko/Pace
     products but I would like to stay around $150.  Any recommendations along with any t12 tip suggestions would be great.

2.  Desoldering.  I'm going to get some braid and paste for some small repairs but after opening the cases of a few amps, holy crap, I think
     I'll need a desoldering gun.  After researching and seeing some reviews, this one seems like it might work. Pro'sKit SS-331H  Any
     recommendations here would be great also.  I'm open to any suggestions for getting the best results efficiently and I'll spend a little more
     if necessary.

As a novice, I welcome any tip,tricks or recommendations that might make this endeavor less frustrating.

Thanks all!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering Equipment Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:10:04 am »
Since you are in the US, a Hakko 888 is a good choice in that price range. Don't buy on ebay because the chance of getting a fake is high, get one from a reputable dealer. On the other hand, I've heard some of the cheap Chinese knock offs are not too bad. I bought a used Hakko 937 many years ago and it's still working fine.

The following users thanked this post: MyHeadHz, shimanole

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 03:46:57 am »
Don't forget to check the Hakko FX888D from tEquipment  price $99.42 minus the 6% EEVblog discount.

I also recommend Kester 63/37 solder 0.031" diameter.  The 63/37 ratio is much easier to work with than the 60/40.

Also, extra Rosin Flux Paste.  Very useful for repairs and difficult soldering.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:48:17 am »
I posted this in a Hakko related thread but thought this might be the best place for posting.

I've never soldered a day in my life but I'm committed to learning to complete several projects.  1st I need to terminate some single color LED strip lights to wire and I have about 10 vintage HiFi tube and solid state amps that I plan on repairing/modifying etc.

1.  Soldering station.  I might use it 3 or 4 hours a week tops.  I'm looking at T12 stuff like Ksger (can't find the Bakon) and Hakko/Pace
     products but I would like to stay around $150.  Any recommendations along with any t12 tip suggestions would be great.

2.  Desoldering.  I'm going to get some braid and paste for some small repairs but after opening the cases of a few amps, holy crap, I think
     I'll need a desoldering gun.  After researching and seeing some reviews, this one seems like it might work. Pro'sKit SS-331H  Any
     recommendations here would be great also.  I'm open to any suggestions for getting the best results efficiently and I'll spend a little more
     if necessary.

As a novice, I welcome any tip,tricks or recommendations that might make this endeavor less frustrating.

Thanks all!
Not to be rude, but please do a bit of searching on the forums (e.g. googling "site:eevblog.com beginner soldering station" or the like). Cuz this question gets asked seemingly weekly, and the answers are pretty much always the same.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 03:10:46 pm »
Don't forget to check the Hakko FX888D from tEquipment  price $99.42 minus the 6% EEVblog discount.

I also recommend Kester 63/37 solder 0.031" diameter.  The 63/37 ratio is much easier to work with than the 60/40.

Also, extra Rosin Flux Paste.  Very useful for repairs and difficult soldering.
Thanks very much.  I appreciate the extra info and I had no idea there was a discount for the Hakko.  I think I'll go that route.  Thanks again!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 03:21:35 pm »

if necessary.

Thanks all!
Not to be rude, but please do a bit of searching on the forums (e.g. googling "site:eevblog.com beginner soldering station" or the like). Cuz this question gets asked seemingly weekly, and the answers are pretty much always the same.

Not to be rude, but if you actually read my post, you would have seen that I did search and find a thread that was very specific to my question, however, it did not get any responses.  Thanks for taking the time to criticize my posting without offering any suggestions or advice.   Very helpful.

The following users thanked this post: Ground_Loop

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 10:48:49 pm »
I only buy used weller equipment on eBay.  I have a good collection of WD series, the WP80 iron is to die for.  Generic tips can be had for cheap.  I switched from Hakko a long time ago.  Some people will argue that metcal is better but this is because of the power source and tip, metcal is the tip type that heats to a curie point and cannot be adjusted, not practical for home use, but great for production.

Look at a used Weller WD station on eBay + a WP80 iron, you won't be dissapointed.  Don't be worried to buy separately.

IMHO the advantage with the weller WD + WP is how small the iron is.  You don't have this large, unwieldy sledgehammer of an iron you get with the hakko's, it makes you a better solder-er by default ;-)

Keep in mind that this may be out of your price range if you are looking at the disposable type stuff from china, but if you don't mind buying a great tool in used condition, I really don't think you can go wrong with a weller WD.
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 10:52:32 pm »
I only buy used weller equipment on eBay.  I have a good collection of WD series, the WP80 iron is to die for.  Generic tips can be had for cheap.  I switched from Hakko a long time ago.  Some people will argue that metcal is better but this is because of the power source and tip, metcal is the tip type that heats to a curie point and cannot be adjusted, not practical for home use, but great for production.

Look at a used Weller WD station on eBay + a WP80 iron, you won't be dissapointed.  Don't be worried to buy separately.

IMHO the advantage with the weller WD + WP is how small the iron is.  You don't have this large, unwieldy sledgehammer of an iron you get with the hakko's, it makes you a better solder-er by default ;-)

Keep in mind that this may be out of your price range if you are looking at the disposable type stuff from china, but if you don't mind buying a great tool in used condition, I really don't think you can go wrong with a weller WD.

Thanks Angry.  I'll take a look and like the idea of having some other options.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 12:45:01 am »
Remember that for everyone preferring Weller there is someone preferring Hakko - I have had my station 15 years and could not want a more powerful, lightweight and precise iron. Main thing is try them out before committing $100+.
Software guy studying B.Eng.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 03:26:28 am »
Remember that for everyone preferring Weller there is someone preferring Hakko - I have had my station 15 years and could not want a more powerful, lightweight and precise iron. Main thing is try them out before committing $100+.
Unfortunately, trying before buying soldering equipment is something that is essentially impossible for most people, since there is nowhere to do this. Even if a retail store carries the gear (which is rarely the case), I’ve never seen one that let you try it.

So unless you happen to have a workplace or friends with the exact equipment you want to test, there’s essentially no way to try it out beforehand.

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 06:07:33 am »
How is used equipment from eBay not affordable?  I got a weller WRS 3000 with 3 stands, 2 irons, the hot air gun and dual tip tweezers on there for under $300 shipped.  I've seen WD bases for 50 bucks. 

This person came here for some fresh advice from people who use soldering equipment and I'm sure that various opinions were expected.  If you have such an opinion please offer it; Your statements are not leading to any particular conclusion regarding which soldering equipment should be considered.

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 06:35:40 am »
I’ve seen a lot of newbies purchase a heap of gear because they are ‘excited’ about electronics, 6 months later and they are trying to sell it all off.

Since you’ve never soldered before, I’d be inclined to get a cheap iron (no station) or as someone else has suggested, a 2nd-hand Weller or Hakko. I’d be inclined to go the Weller because I think I in the US they are much more plentiful and cheaper on the 2nd-hand market.

If you enjoy electronics, you can upgrade later and keep your first iron for the rough stuff, such as soldering outside or away from home. Even if you ditch electronics altogether a soldering iron is always a good tool to have, even if it is for just basic wiring repair.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 08:19:14 am »
$100 on a Hakko FX888D is not exactly splurging, it's safe and cheap to run so the ideal entry level station. You will also get at tequipment.net 6% off and free shipping using the eevblog discount code. Combine that with a few different tips, solder, flux, braid and a hand desoldering pump and you are set to go.

Going for a vacuum desoldering station is rushing into it a bit, they are more specialized tools. Sure if you see a deal like angrybird saw give it a shot but be prepared to fix problems. Secondhand vaccum stations even though working can have worn out pumps, plus tips and parts can be expensive. So work all this out beforehand don't just expect $300 and done.

Historically most people just start with something basic and build up as their needs arise. As I've mentioned a few times, electronics is the application of skill and knowledge and using a vacuum desoldering iron but not able to solder and desolder with reasonable level of competence is really missing out on some of the core skills that make it a rewarding hobby.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 01:06:34 pm »
Just getting started, you may just consider a Weller 35W Soldering Iron
That's all I needed for 20+ years.  A soldering station, like the Hakko or Weller, is nice but by far not necessary.

For desoldering, I would just stick with a manual Solder Sucker and solder wick.
Unless you expect to be doing repairs on a daily basis.  There are a lot of headaches keeping the desolder stations cleaned out.
Not worth it for just a few solder joints now and then.  IMHO

The tEquipment discount is for ALL items in their store.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 04:26:03 pm »
I really appreciate all of the suggestions and advice.  I don't think I can go wrong with any of the items suggested.  To keep cost down to start, I'm going to try the Ksger OLED T12 Soldering Iron Station STM32 V2.1s with the aluminum handle.  I like the push button interface and ease of setup and I think I can get enough life out of it to determine if I want to make it a full time hobby.   Purchasing from Amazon so if I get a dud I can easily have it replaced. 

I have an electrician friend who is giving me about 30 ft of RGBW LED strip lighting for soldering practice.  I also have an old SS amp that I have no interest in salvaging and I'll be using that board for soldering and desoldering practice in tighter spaces.  I'll start the desloldering process with flux paste and braid until I feel it is worth getting a desoldering gun or hot air station.

I've built a work bench and ordered some cheap different sized 60/40 and 63/37 solder for the purposes or practicing.

For anyone that has application knowledge and can offer any advice that might help me avoid mistakes or which may accelerate the learning curve I would be grateful.  Anything at all.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and recommendations.  It is much appreciated in a world of BS reviews.

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 07:28:55 pm »
I really appreciate all of the suggestions and advice.  I don't think I can go wrong with any of the items suggested.  To keep cost down to start, I'm going to try the Ksger OLED T12 Soldering Iron Station STM32 V2.1s with the aluminum handle.  I like the push button interface and ease of setup and I think I can get enough life out of it to determine if I want to make it a full time hobby.   Purchasing from Amazon so if I get a dud I can easily have it replaced. 

I have an electrician friend who is giving me about 30 ft of RGBW LED strip lighting for soldering practice.  I also have an old SS amp that I have no interest in salvaging and I'll be using that board for soldering and desoldering practice in tighter spaces.  I'll start the desloldering process with flux paste and braid until I feel it is worth getting a desoldering gun or hot air station.

I've built a work bench and ordered some cheap different sized 60/40 and 63/37 solder for the purposes or practicing.

For anyone that has application knowledge and can offer any advice that might help me avoid mistakes or which may accelerate the learning curve I would be grateful.  Anything at all.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and recommendations.  It is much appreciated in a world of BS reviews.

When working with circuit boards, learn to control the heat.

When you are soldering/desoldering something that has a great amount of copper attached to it, you need more heat due to the constant heat loss from this larger thermally conductive area.  However, for small pads, this same amount of heat will very rapidly delaminate the pad from the PCB and you'll end up with a damaged PCB.  I always try to be very diligent in this, probably one of the reasons that I like the weller WD's so much - They have 3 temperature preset buttons and change temperature very rapidly due to the low mass of the iron.

I love solder braid, the kind with flux pre applied, though nonfluxed is fine as long as you have a bottle or syringe of flux handy.  Desoldering with braid requires a little more heat than with a solder sucker due to the increased thermal mass of the braid. 

Practice makes perfect, good luck!

Online Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 08:10:16 pm »
Universal tip for T12 is D24. But if you work with small SMD (<=0805) then you may need one more other tip for such small smd.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 09:20:32 pm »
Ksger stations use switch mode power supplies that don't conform to modern manufacturing standards. What does this mean? They may fail in a way that puts the user at risk of electrocution or while unattended. So I recommend you have a ground fault safety device installed at the mains switchboard or outlet to hopefully avoid any electronics adventure mishaps.

If it was me I would also be checking which version it was (to identify which defects it has) and general quality control before plugging in the mains cable, this has already been discussed on the forums. If you are unsure which version you own, upload images of both sides of the PCB and someone will help you out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:52:29 pm by Shock »

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 02:07:35 am »
Ksger stations use switch mode power supplies that don't conform to modern manufacturing standards. What does this mean? They may fail in a way that puts the user at risk of electrocution or while unattended. So I recommend you have a ground fault safety device installed at the mains switchboard or outlet to hopefully avoid any electronics adventure mishaps.

If it was me I would also be checking which version it was (to identify which defects it has) and general quality control before plugging in the mains cable, this has already been discussed on the forums. If you are unsure which version you own, upload images of both sides of the PCB and someone will help you out.

Thanks Shock.  I thought I read that this unit was grounded.  I'll check again as I would like to be able to use this straight from the box without modifications.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 02:10:18 am »
Universal tip for T12 is D24. But if you work with small SMD (<=0805) then you may need one more other tip for such small smd.

Thanks for the tip.  Pun intended.   I'll add the D24 to the list.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 02:14:59 am »

When working with circuit boards, learn to control the heat.

When you are soldering/desoldering something that has a great amount of copper attached to it, you need more heat due to the constant heat loss from this larger thermally conductive area.  However, for small pads, this same amount of heat will very rapidly delaminate the pad from the PCB and you'll end up with a damaged PCB.  I always try to be very diligent in this, probably one of the reasons that I like the weller WD's so much - They have 3 temperature preset buttons and change temperature very rapidly due to the low mass of the iron.

I love solder braid, the kind with flux pre applied, though nonfluxed is fine as long as you have a bottle or syringe of flux handy.  Desoldering with braid requires a little more heat than with a solder sucker due to the increased thermal mass of the braid. 

Practice makes perfect, good luck!

Thanks again Angry.  Nice to know something like that getting started as opposed to having to post every question on a forum.  Thanks for the early troubleshooting.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 04:43:23 am »
Thanks Shock.  I thought I read that this unit was grounded.  I'll check again as I would like to be able to use this straight from the box without modifications.

I think the tips are but the case isn't. This wouldn't be as bad if they insulated the case properly and fixed the other smps issues. There was some controller issues as well but really you need to look at which revision you are getting and if it has any problems.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 11:37:41 am »

I think the tips are but the case isn't. This wouldn't be as bad if they insulated the case properly and fixed the other smps issues. There was some controller issues as well but really you need to look at which revision you are getting and if it has any problems.

Thanks again!

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 12:51:17 am »
Another thing: if you end up not buying a vacuum station, don't buy any desolder pump other than a genuine Edsyn Soldapullt. There's a lot of junk out there, especially the small aluminium ones.
Software guy studying B.Eng.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 02:50:11 am »
The Engineer SS-02 gets a lot of recommendations here for having good performance, replaceable tips and ergonomics. I have a few vintage pumps that are quite reliable, but if I was looking to buy brand new the SS-02 would probably be it. Edsyn are a good brand but I prefer thumb actuated suckers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf