Author Topic: SOLDERING IRON  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Jed841Topic starter

SOLDERING IRON
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:55:24 am »
Ok im a little aussie and am new to electronics (in year 10) and is wondering if my iroda Butane soldering iron is good enough for general kits. Also how do you properly clean it?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: SOLDERING IRON
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:55:09 am »
Oh, no way, butane irons are horrible!
Get yourself a proper adjustable temperature soldering station like the Hakko 936.

A good iron tip just needs a wet sponge to clean it and it should last for a long time.

Dave.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:15 am »
Get yourself a proper adjustable temperature soldering station like the Hakko 936.

I'll second that. I was going to build my own or do with a $20 special, but I saved up and bought a 936-12 (comes with a medium duty iron) and a couple of tips. It was very much worth it, and if you take good care of it it'll last decades.

Offline logictom

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:51:49 am »

I'll second that. I was going to build my own or do with a $20 special, but I saved up and bought a 936-12 (comes with a medium duty iron) and a couple of tips. It was very much worth it, and if you take good care of it it'll last decades.
I'll third that, I've been using a unregulated iron for years but just recently picked up a WESD51 and my soldering has improved 100x and I can finally use solder braid properly :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf