Author Topic: Soldering Setup  (Read 470 times)

Offline YoshiiTopic starter

Soldering Setup
« on: January 23, 2023, 04:07:42 pm »
Hi guys,

can someone from experience provide a cost for the equipment to get started in soldering? More micro soldering PCB boards, computer motherboards etc?

Been looking at getting into it for a while now to expand my businesses services. Currently have a soldering iron (may buy the Pencile one as recommended) with flux, solder sucker tool.

I need things like fume extractor (I know some cheap ones don't work at all apparently) and a good microscope. Possibly a heat gun also (A lot seem to say 858D one to get started)?

I've sat on the fence for a while now as in the back of my mind I think do people not just replace the whole item now as we seem to be in a bit of a throw away society rather than getting there electronic device fixed?

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 04:15:35 pm by Yoshii »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 05:42:33 pm »
I'm not sure how you will be able to work effectively with BGA mount parts using just the tools you just mentioned.  It seems a pre-heat plate and a re-flow oven might also be required.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: Soldering Setup
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 05:44:33 pm »
It's not rocket science, but it does take some practice and decent equipment. 
If you are doing rework as part of a business, you should probably get in contact, in person, with someone that has some experience and have them set up your lab and do the work.

(I've been doing design and prototype builds for quite a while now, and my success rate with BGAs in nowhere near 100% for hand soldering/rework)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 05:48:56 pm by Smokey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf