Author Topic: Soldering station for precision applications  (Read 4792 times)

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Soldering station for precision applications
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:17:55 pm »
I want to buy a good quality soldering station for precision soldering applications. After reading a lot of opinions in this forum and some others I came to conclusion that it should be either Ersa i-CON 1, Weller WX 1011, JBC CD-2SD or something from Metcal. I don't like Ersa i-CON series and Metcal, so I will eliminate them. I have observed that a lot of people are complaining about Weller and its recent decline in quality, but I have suspicions that not always apples are compared to apples. Usually, they don't specify if they have in mind Active-Tip, Power-Response or Silver-Line irons and their tips and if they are talking about WX, WD or even older stations. So, I want to ask specifically - has anyone tried WX power station and WXMP iron and has any complaints about those two items? Why would I want to choose JBC CD-2SD over Weller WX 1011?

Also, where would you recommend buying JBC production from (in Europe)? There is no local JBC distributor in my country.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Re: Soldering station for precision applications
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:29:44 pm »
I have owned a number of different brands in the past.
Sorry, cannot comment on the Weller WX 1011.
About a year ago I purchased a JBC CD-2BC and a couple of extra tips.
The soldering station was about NZ$600 at the time. Tips about NZ$42.

This is simply the best soldering station I have ever owned.
Super fast heat up with almost no fly over.
Super fast thermal recovery for jobs where the copper area sinks the heat away quickly.
You can change the tips hot - simply unplug and swap over using a 'tool' mounted in the stand.

One year down the track and I am happy to say that I don't think I would ever consider a different brand.
I am saving my pennies for a complete rework station (RMST-2B), but it is a big investment - ~NZ$5,000
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline JackP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:35:44 pm »
Most high end brands (Hakko, Ersa, Metcal, JBC...) have a specific hand piece for precision work. It's down to other factors that you decide on which one you like (you won't regret anything really from the major brands).

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:56:50 pm »
I just recently got myself a Weller WX2022 kit and if you ask me, it is an awesome tool. Never tried any other high quality station, but there is nothing wrong with this one.

Plan is to do a short review of it on YouTube as soon as time permits...

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:51:11 am »
Curious, what is it that you don't like about the Metcal?

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 01:41:54 pm »
john_p_wi, the major thing I don't like - fixed temps, there are some other minor things as well.

agehall, I would appreciate if you could do a short review any time soon.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:52:22 pm »
I like my WX station from Weller. The WXMP soldering pen, has a good selection of very fine tips. It is, however, on the pricey side but not as much as JBC that has been suggested.

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:02:17 pm »
the major thing I don't like - fixed temps, there are some other minor things as well.

OK, thanks.  Funny, thats what I like about Metcal.  When using it with eutectic solder you have the same consistent performance, of course one has to use the appropriate tip for the application to appreciate this.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:34 pm »
I've used or owned most everything.  My main station is now a JBC.  Easily the best station I've ever used.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 01:01:42 am »
If you want a good soldering station, make sure to pick one that allows quick tip changing. Matching the tip to the job is important for quality work.

Offline savril

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 01:33:39 am »
As you are posting in the Beginners forum, I would ask "Are you sure you need a precision solder station ?".
I'm a beginner and when I was searching for a solder station, I though I would need a precision station to do SMD. I finally bought a JBC CD2B and I'm very happy with it.
The cartridge you can have in the C245 format go as low as 0.3 mm in conical and 0.6 mm in chisel. For the CD-S (C210 cartridge), it go to 0.1 mm in conical and 0.2 mm in chisel.
I do CMS up to 0603 and I mostly use the chisels in 2.2mm, sometime in 1.2mm. I bought the 0.6mm chisel but I found it too small for my use. So I guess I can do 0402 without problem with the CD2B (other than the problems happening between the chair and the iron).
I don't know what user of precision stations do with them but I would guess it is to solder 0201 and below under microscope.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 04:08:02 am »
I love my Weller WSM 1C.  Instant heat, instant tip changes, incredibly precise control and it's cordless when needed.
-katie

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 11:56:34 am »
I've used or owned most everything.  My main station is now a JBC.  Easily the best station I've ever used.

Ditto. No other way to put it really.
JBC are expensive new, but well worth every penny.
Having said that, I recently found an older analogue JBC station on eBay for £20 including hand-piece. It heats up just as fast, has just as good control, uses the same hand-piece and tips (C245) that the latest stations use.
I am always on the lookout for cheap tips on eBay too. I got six second hand C245 tips a while ago, all working and in good shape for £10.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf