Electronics > Beginners

Soldering station

<< < (3/3)

kaptain_zero:

--- Quote from: ModemHead on September 16, 2010, 09:30:43 pm ---Regardless of which iron you get, do get a dry tip cleaner (the one that looks like a pot-scrubber).  You'll never mess with a wet sponge again.

--- End quote ---

OK, I'm probably dating myself, and I'm probably proving I'm a tightwad, but, my tip cleaner actually IS an old brass pot scrubber! I eventually decided to moisten it with some liquid flux but it's worked quite well without. I've never actually used one of the commercial versions....  The local shop wants $20 for a Hakko unit...... I get a 3 pack of brass scrubbers for $2 at the grocery store. One day I'll break down and buy a *real* one as they hopefully work even better.

Regards

Christian

PS: I did pick up a new Hakko 936, they were going cheap here too (Canada). 

SuperMiguel:

--- Quote from: kaptain_zero on September 17, 2010, 03:43:48 am ---
--- Quote from: ModemHead on September 16, 2010, 09:30:43 pm ---Regardless of which iron you get, do get a dry tip cleaner (the one that looks like a pot-scrubber).  You'll never mess with a wet sponge again.

--- End quote ---

OK, I'm probably dating myself, and I'm probably proving I'm a tightwad, but, my tip cleaner actually IS an old brass pot scrubber! I eventually decided to moisten it with some liquid flux but it's worked quite well without. I've never actually used one of the commercial versions....  The local shop wants $20 for a Hakko unit...... I get a 3 pack of brass scrubbers for $2 at the grocery store. One day I'll break down and buy a *real* one as they hopefully work even better.

Regards

Christian

PS: I did pick up a new Hakko 936, they were going cheap here too (Canada). 

--- End quote ---

how is the Hakko 936 compared with the weller wesd51, besides that it looks cooler

kaptain_zero:
Well, I don't have any experience with the Weller unit you reference, but by the specs I'd say that if it were anywhere near as cheap as what a Hakko 936 goes for you your end of the world, I'd buy it vs the Hakko. The Weller has a temperature readout that the Hakko 936 does not..... Both are industry quality gear otherwise and so there you go.

Around here, Weller has always been well supported and easily purchased, Hakko has only fairly recently moved in on the scene. My previous station was a Weller, but it wasn't as fancy as the the 51 and I didn't like the way the element was wired in the hand piece, but to be fair, I purchased it second hand and I only ran it until it broke after my cheap as possible repair lasted.  Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in?

Regards

Christian

TopherTheME:
I don't own a wesd51 but I've used them a lot at a previous employer. They are a good iron, not as nice as some of the metcals, but for the money they are pretty good. My only real complaint about them is the very ugly blue color and the tips always seemed to wear out kinda fast.

david77:
A Weller station for around $100 (~85,00EUR)?
I don't believe it! The cheapest Weller here in Germany (WTCP51 - Magnastat, not temp. controlled!) starts at about 170,00 EUR!

It might be worth checking out the shipping cost from USA...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version