Author Topic: Sorry, but another neophyte bench power supply question  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Jimmy the SquidTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Complete and utter newb.
Sorry, but another neophyte bench power supply question
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:34:02 am »
So, I have decided to purchase a new bench power supply to complement my existing finely handcrafted model (cheap Elenco kit). I'm looking for a digital one with some bells and whistles, but I have a question since I am fairly new to this sort of thing. Don't worry though - the question isn't "what should I buy?" Hopefully, it isn't a dumb question.

My question is: on the power supplies with separate controls and displays for voltage and current, is it safe to assume that the current display will show the current being drawn, or is that a feature on only high end models? If it is the latter, what key words should I look for in product descriptions that would indicate the presence of an ammeter function?

Essentially, I'm thinking that feature is so useful, I would pay a premium for it, and conversely, I would be sad of what I bought did not have it.

Thanks!

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
Re: Sorry, but another neophyte bench power supply question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:16:18 am »
You'd usually set the current limit and the display will change from x to y. After a small timeout current monitoring will again be displayed, as the limit is useless information to persist (unless you're forgetful, YMMV).

I would pay a premium for it
This is easy to implement on a cheapie micro, and would otherwise make the second display a pointless added cost.

Alexander.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:29:51 am by MmCoffee »
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »
IMO if it has separate dedicated displays for both current and voltage they will show the voltage and current being supplied.  If you are in current limit or voltage limit it does not matter it will show what is actually being supplied.
Whatever you do make sure both voltage and current have either ten turn pots or coarse and fine adjustments.

Offline Jimmy the SquidTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Complete and utter newb.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »
Thanks for the input. I did think that it would seem pretty silly to have a panel meter for amps, and then only have it be used for setting the current limit. But I read the August 9 review for the Mastech 3005f-3 on amazon that made me wonder. (This isn't what i am buying, but it is what sparked the question).

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-TRIPLE-LINEAR-SUPPLY-HY3005F-3/product-reviews/B004ISD7T6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&colid=2IBBR556BZ67P&coliid=I2NR7NRO2LZ7FM&showViewpoints=1

Thanks for helping me clear it up!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »
Thanks for the input. I did think that it would seem pretty silly to have a panel meter for amps, and then only have it be used for setting the current limit. But I read the August 9 review for the Mastech 3005f-3 on amazon that made me wonder. (This isn't what i am buying, but it is what sparked the question).

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-TRIPLE-LINEAR-SUPPLY-HY3005F-3/product-reviews/B004ISD7T6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&colid=2IBBR556BZ67P&coliid=I2NR7NRO2LZ7FM&showViewpoints=1

Thanks for helping me clear it up!
Unless you wanted to be a smartass and rig a DMM up ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf