Author Topic: Source parts from 1688 / taobao via an agency  (Read 303 times)

Offline soFPG

• Regular Contributor
Source parts from 1688 / taobao via an agency
« on: October 30, 2019, 03:39:27 pm »
I am currently trying to source parts from 1688.com / Taobao and what I find happening is that a lot of parts on 1688.com are priced as 1 Yuan, 0.01 Yuan or 0.02 Yuan and the text in the description says that the buyer should get in contact with the seller to discuss the real price.
The agency I am working with has the option to make them ask the seller about the real price - so I did that for several parts. And one 128kByte SRAM module was originally priced as 0.02 Yuan (which can't be true I know that) and the real price is 15 Yuan.
I mean - WTF?

Why would they do that. The sellers at 1688 / Taobao are just wasting everyones time - people from the agency who ask for the real price and mine.

Online I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
Re: Source parts from 1688 / taobao via an agency
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:03:13 pm »
If there are other, genuine listings, you can just ignore these fake ones. It is the same as listings on eBay with a price range (e.g. $1-$9 ... $9 being the thing you want and $1 being some unrelated piece of crap): they almost never have the lowest actual price, so you can scroll past them to the price you "expect" and start there.

Offline soFPG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 08:26:44 am »
Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend to buy stuff from over there to make a bargain in general?

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 09:20:05 am »
If there are other, genuine listings, you can just ignore these fake ones. It is the same as listings on eBay with a price range (e.g. $1-$9 ... $9 being the thing you want and $1 being some unrelated piece of crap): they almost never have the lowest actual price, so you can scroll past them to the price you "expect" and start there.

I hate it when they do that but it is difficult to prevent it because they could be selling options of the same thing or just bait'n'switch. They could be selling marbles in lots of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 or they might trick you by offering a lab PSU for $50 and a "lab psu power cord" for $5. 
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 11:49:27 pm »
Yeah thats a waste of time, interestingly I have not experienced that yet, I avoided any <1 yuan items completely.

One thing I did get caught by, every item I've purchased that was on "promotion" price was only valid for the first part. So if you buy two the second one is at regular price. Didn't understand why..

Offline soFPG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:33:20 pm »
Just asked for 10 pieces of an item which was priced as 7.50 Yuan and it actually is now 12 Yuan - I don't get these fake sellers  :palm:

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »
Just asked for 10 pieces of an item which was priced as 7.50 Yuan and it actually is now 12 Yuan - I don't get these fake sellers  :palm:

If you have nothing better to do, you can just try to buy it and see what happens (if it is really listed as 7.50 each).
I did have one seller ship the item, THEN say the price was wrong after the fact.. so they might get caught on their BS.

I'm not sure how hard it is to go through a dispute via the agent though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf