Author Topic: Sourcing Cassette Style Buttons (But I don't know what they're called)  (Read 1397 times)

Offline devinatkinTopic starter

• Contributor
  • PhD Student at the University of Calgary I2Sense
I'm sorry I don't know the proper name, which is probably why I can't find anything related to them. I'm trying to find a source for those buttons where you press one in and the others pop up. I'm repairing an old radio which has them and am currently considering the option of just gutting everything in the radio (The thing just emits the screams of hell currently). But in order to do that I'd need to replace the front panel of buttons which were originally for selecting between frequency ranges.

The plan is to use a raspberry pi (Yes I somehow sourced one of them) Then wire it up and write some scripts so that the buttons and knobs control spotify instead of a real radio. But I need those style buttons in order to make this plan work.

I've searched around and the terms I'm using keep giving me piano key buttons which aren't what I want. Does anyone still make those buttons? Or will I need to go with ones that press down and up, but don't have any sort of mechanism so only one can be pressed at a time.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Sourcing Cassette Style Buttons (But I don't know what they're called)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 03:53:22 pm »
i think you're looking for something like the C&K F-Series of pushbutton switches (originally ITT-Schadow).
It's a Lego-like system where you build the whole thing yourself from rails, switches, release rails etc.
https://www.ckswitches.com/products/switches/product-details/Pushbutton/F/

The following users thanked this post: devinatkin

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 04:28:45 pm »
The C&K switches Benta has linked to may or may not be able to provide what you are looking for. But you will probably struggle to buy the right custom configurations in small quantities. Such interlocked/ganged switches are very uncommon as off-the-shelf parts. I think the audio devices which use(d) them -- radios, cassette recorders etc. -- would typically contain custom-made switch groups and mechanisms.

The common solution today is to emulate the "radio button" functionality in software, and with LED indicators instead of the physically latched switches: Use momentary switches with built-in LEDs; then let your microcontroller or Raspberry Pi enable the LED on the most recently pressed switch only, and disable whichever other LED was on before.

EDIT: Alternatively, if the mechanism in your radio still works: Can you retain either the mechanism + switch contacts, or just the mechanism and put new push-button switches behind it? The interlocking mechanism is what's hard to come by; the switch contacts should be pretty standard.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:32:24 pm by ebastler »

Online ledtester

• Super Contributor

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 05:55:33 pm »
The C&K switches Benta has linked to may or may not be able to provide what you are looking for. But you will probably struggle to buy the right custom configurations in small quantities. Such interlocked/ganged switches are very uncommon as off-the-shelf parts.

This is where you're completely wrong. The F-Series can be configured by yourself in single-unit quantities. Thus my "Lego" remark.

Example:
I want an array with one push-on/push-off switch, two mutually exclusive switches and three mutually exclusive switches (aka "radio buttons").
So, I order a mount rail for 6 switches, one push-on/push-off switch and five momentary switches.
Add to that a two-position and a three position release rail and two springs for those.
Lastly, six buttons according to taste/style.

Building the switch array is easy. Lego, like I said.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 05:59:33 pm by Benta »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 06:46:15 pm »
This is where you're completely wrong.

This is where you sound a bit impolite.  ;)

Good to know that these switches are modular and configurable. I see all the configuration options in the datasheet, but not e.g. in the Mouser catalog. Can't find the rails at Mouser either, but that is probably since I don't know what to seach for. Where would you order these in small quantities?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 07:25:27 pm »
This is where you sound a bit impolite.  ;)
Didn't mean to be, sorry. But I think it's a bit sad to discourage people up front.

It's been around ten years since I last used the F-Series, so where to source them today? I don't know. Farnell or Digikey perhaps?
The C&K/ITT-Schadow F-Series are the most versatile pushbutton switches I know of, and there are even more tricks for modifying/combining them. I've worked with them extensively over the years.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 07:34:22 pm »
I'm sorry I don't know the proper name, which is probably why I can't find anything related to them. I'm trying to find a source for those buttons where you press one in and the others pop up. I'm repairing an old radio which has them and am currently considering the option of just gutting everything in the radio (The thing just emits the screams of hell currently). But in order to do that I'd need to replace the front panel of buttons which were originally for selecting between frequency ranges.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you gut the radio, can't you re-purpose the existing switches somehow? (Maybe you could arrange them to operate microswitches instead of the original mechanical arrangements?)

Offline rooppoorali

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 11:12:16 am »
Do you have any picture?

Offline devinatkinTopic starter

• Contributor
  • PhD Student at the University of Calgary I2Sense
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 02:44:56 pm »
These look perfect to act as replacements. Thank you for the help

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 03:55:58 pm »
FWIW, in software user interface design, this is the reason the widget for mutually-exclusive options is called “radio buttons”. :)

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 04:57:03 pm »
Just to address the original question, try searching for “piano key switch
The various result subsets might find what you’re looking for.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:38:23 pm by Terry Bites »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf