Author Topic: Spectrum Analyzer Front End ESD Protection  (Read 663 times)

Offline sbvr4Topic starter

• Contributor
Spectrum Analyzer Front End ESD Protection
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:35:01 pm »
Hi,
What is the most robust ESD protection method for the front end of a spectrum analyzer, or any ESD sensitive input, when not in use? I have two young children always running around. I don't have a lab set up, so my equipment is constantly moving around. I would like to protect my SA as much as possible against possible damage caused by ESD.
Would a direct short offer the best protection since ground and the input are always at the same potential? Or a 50ohm termination kept on the input? Or the basic plastic dust cap?

Thank you,
Sbvr4

Offline jlake

• Contributor
Re: Spectrum Analyzer Front End ESD Protection
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:39:54 pm »
I would recommend a few things:
  • Keep ESD protective covers on RF connectors i.e. an ICP polymer with a low surface resistivity and something which meets the static decay requirements/regulations of whatever country you're in
  • Keep the SA plugged in and ensure it's sufficiently grounded i.e. don't use an extension cable, etc.

I don't know your circumstances, but surely it isn't *that* hard to keep it out of reach of your kids? Usually just putting it on a shelf or a high worksurface is sufficient to stop them meddling with something. If you're using it in a non-static-safe work environment, then preventing ESD damage will be difficult regardless of whether your kids are there or not. If that's the case, you should exercise good ESD practices like shorting the outer and inner conductors of coaxial cables before connecting them to your SA.

From experience, a SA (along with most test and measurements equipment) is more likely to be damaged through mechanical means by inexperienced operators than ESD. Kids accidentally bumping, scratching or flexing the RF connectors poses a more likely threat to the welfare of the instrument.

I hope that helps.

Offline sbvr4Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Spectrum Analyzer Front End ESD Protection
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:19:48 am »
Thank you for your thoughtful response, jlake. I ordered some mil-spec antistatic caps. I had been holding off since I couldn't seem to find any that permitted purchasing less than a 1000. Plus I have several 50ohm terminations laying around. I liked the idea of terminations (50ohm or short) because they're threaded on. I ended up buying a small lot of caps on eBay.
Thanks again,
Sbvr4
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:36:47 am by sbvr4 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf