Author Topic: Stand Fan And Floor Fan Cannot Start Turning  (Read 23171 times)

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: Stand Fan And Floor Fan Cannot Start Turning
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:52 am »
I shudder to think about where people have found a thermal fuse open-circuit and simply bypassed it.  One can only hope it's their own home they burn down.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 07:10:59 am »
The thin wiring tends to act as a fuse in most cases anyway, it just blows.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 04:01:37 am »
I have found black rectangular capacitor although the problem now is that before I did anything, the fan stopped working. Initially it took it warm up time to start spinning and at that time I could barely hear motor working. Now however it does not work and nothing can be heard from it. Maybe bearings are stuck? In addition to bad capacitor this can be another problem.
as much as i want to help this tens of thousands km away guy, alas i think i'm doing nothing except wasting my time to teach someone who dont bother to figure out how a bearing works or how is it if it doesnt work. instead of making him fatter (teach or tour guide in forum), why he is not going out learn something from local tech personnel, send his unit to electrician for repair and have a peek on how the guy repair things or simply if he has a really tight ass, go to local hardware store and play/fool around with "men's toy" thats abundant around there and then walk away, i'm sure the sale guys will let him. not only he will get his unit fixed, but he also can learn alot and stay healthy by working out his muscles, mind and sweat, not reading forum while eating popcorn. i'll ask the same from my kids, not 100% spoonfeed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:04:20 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
Re: Re: Stand Fan And Floor Fan Cannot Start Turning
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 10:01:05 am »
I have found black rectangular capacitor although the problem now is that before I did anything, the fan stopped working. Initially it took it warm up time to start spinning and at that time I could barely hear motor working. Now however it does not work and nothing can be heard from it. Maybe bearings are stuck? In addition to bad capacitor this can be another problem.
as much as i want to help this tens of thousands km away guy, alas i think i'm doing nothing except wasting my time to teach someone who dont bother to figure out how a bearing works or how is it if it doesnt work. instead of making him fatter (teach or tour guide in forum), why he is not going out learn something from local tech personnel, send his unit to electrician for repair and have a peek on how the guy repair things or simply if he has a really tight ass, go to local hardware store and play/fool around with "men's toy" thats abundant around there and then walk away, i'm sure the sale guys will let him. not only he will get his unit fixed, but he also can learn alot and stay healthy by working out his muscles, mind and sweat, not reading forum while eating popcorn. i'll ask the same from my kids, not 100% spoonfeed.

Because we're the 1% of people who take it upon ourselves to figure out how things work. Most people just want someone to walk them through it or better yet fix it for me! Its not the 1930s where user service was the norm. Even into the 80s there was still a lot of it. I'm lucky my dad was a self taught electrician and could fix almost ANYTHING electronic. It used to amaze me as a kid that my smashed Sega could ever play another game after I laid a smackdown on it after losing over and over at some game. But he managed to fix it - every time! Totally inspired me and as I grew up I always tried to fix things myself. I usually failed but learned a lot.

Its the Disposable Generation I'm in. Your phone stops working? Throw it out and buy a new one. Same for TVs, microwaves, DVD players, everything. Because replacing it is cheaper than sending it for repair.

Sad state of affairs. At least EEs still get paid fairly well...

Typed using Hacker's Keyboard for Android

--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 10:28:38 am »
Plumbers get paid better, but the work is just up to the neck in what is eloquently described as "Honey". I do it as well, but often I will need to go and shower immediately after, and wash the clothes as well.

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 01:58:55 pm »
I'm on par with Mechatrommer, in that I like to help people, when and if I can, but I feel insulted if one doesn't show the least bit of effort on his part, but demands solutions.

Case in point, the OP might consider spinning the fan blade by hand to see if the bearing is stuck, instead of thinking out loud on the forum. GIIIZ

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:18 am »
Took off fan's net covering and tried spinning blade by hand and noticed heavy resistance unlike another working stand fan I have at home that works well.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »
When my Industrial Aussie made Mistral did the same thing a couple yrs back, a friend of mine came by and, by coincidence,
happened to have designed it. He said that they had taken short cuts in assembly, and there was no proper alignment done
of the shaft and the bearings, just press fitted together. He simply "whacked" the ends of the casting, 90o to the shaft,
until it spun freely then, knowing where the bearing was, drilled a small hole to lubricate it. Finally used a small screw to plug the hole.
It's worked ever since, better than new. He's done it twice since to my fans, always perfect results.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:46 pm »
Have disassembled motor compartment and lubricated bar and back bearing using what I had - penetrating and rust preventing oil. The bar that holds fan blades could spin better with way less resistance but after assembling back and plugging it to mains, nothing spinned anymore and no buzzing sound was heard at all. Maybe fan was already dead but if I tried plugging it in before disassembly, I could at least see if it shows any signs of being operational. Maybe after disassembly I misplaced that square-like part which has copper wires around it? Maybe polarization plays important role here?

Does it matter how how I align it exactly because I could align it with whatever side it could be aligned? I also lubricated this bearing on the back that had some grease in it by the way:

There was also floor fan that does not show any signs of operation. It seems like this stand fan also started to show same signs either before or after I took care of it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:29:11 pm by Boris_yo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf