Author Topic: Stub Style vs Feed Through Terminator  (Read 806 times)

Offline EE_newbieTopic starter

Stub Style vs Feed Through Terminator
« on: July 16, 2021, 03:13:26 pm »
Hello,

EE newbie here. Can someone please explain the difference between Stub Style vs Feed Through Terminators? I need a 150 Ohm Stub Style terminator that I cannot find anywhere. I was only able to find a 150 Ohm Feed Through terminator. Can I use the Feed Through terminator instead of the Stub Style terminator? If the answer is yes, then we are all good. If the answer is no, then read below.

It looks like the most common impedance of  terminators available in the market are 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm terminators? Can I put two 75 Ohm terminators or three 50 Ohms terminators in series to yield the 150 Ohms impedance that I need? If putting them in series is a possibility, how would I connect the 2 or 3 terminators in series? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Stub Style vs Feed Through Terminator
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 03:21:28 pm »
For what cable/connector/system?  Traditional BNC at least isn't 150 ohms by a long shot...

Most differential pairs aren't, either, though I see a fair number of hits for Modbus and DMX.  If that's what you have, neither is anywhere near fast enough to have a problem, with either type of terminator, at least electrically speaking and assuming the connectors mate properly and everything.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline EE_newbieTopic starter

Re: Stub Style vs Feed Through Terminator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 05:35:18 pm »
Thank you for your response. I guess I should have provided more information in my initial post. What I am looking for is a 150 Ohm external load to provide to the Audio Input 1 of the Aeroflex 3920B Tester. Below is a video of the tester.. Watch between 4:56 and 6:28. The 3920B has an internal load of 600 Ohm only, but I need to use 150 Ohm, so thought about using an external load in Audio Input 1 for the required 150 Ohm. The problem is there are no Stub Style BNC terminator available in 150 Ohm. Only found a Feed through BNC terminator in 150 Ohm. So was wondering whats the difference between the stub style and feed through terminator. Also wondering what is the internal circuitry of a terminator looks like. As I asked in my initial post, can 2 or 3 terminators be put in series to yield the 150 Ohm load that I need?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf