Author Topic: Sub $500 function generator [Rigol Vs Siglent]  (Read 2133 times)

Offline belzrebuthTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Sub $500 function generator [Rigol Vs Siglent]
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:06:12 am »
Hi all,
I'm an EE student currently working a lot with audio circuits and also repairing vintage analog & digital synthesizers.
I'm also into digital electronics (mostly logic stuff like flip flops, counters, registers etc) and MCUs.
I already have an analog and digital scope (Tek 2230 and Rigol DS1054z) and various ways of generating signals but I just want a more robust instrument for my bench.
So I decided on getting a function generator.I'm not really sure what my needs are but I know I want 2 channels, more than 10Vpp amplitude and clean signals.I also want burst/trigger options.
Used function generators on eBay end up in the 200€ range with shipping and taxes so I'd be better off buying a new instrument like a Siglent or a Rigol.
From what I've seen the obvious choices are the Rigol DG1022z or the Siglent SDG1032X.
I suspect that either will be a huge upgrade from what I'm using right now (ebay kits, arduino based dds stuff or my laptop) but since they're not that cheap I'd like to make the best choice between the two.
I like the design of the Rigol better but the Siglent may have better specs overall and might be easier to use maybe.Bandwidth is not that important for me right now.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Sub $500 function generator [Rigol Vs Siglent]
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:33:34 am »
You should also take a look at new Rigol DG800 series in that price range.

Offline belzrebuthTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:12:07 pm »
I really dislike the design on those things:P
The DG1022z looks pretty well laid-out and easier to use..although I've never used one tbh..

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:27:46 pm »
The DG1022z looks pretty well laid-out and easier to use..although I've never used one tbh..
Unless you can get the older model for a significant lower price, Sinisa's suggestion to look at the DG800 makes sense, as it fits better with your audio needs (16 bits) and, being a newer model, potentially has a longer support path.

Going against the Siglent is the very short Arbitrary Wavelength memory - only if you are interested in this feature.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 04:37:40 pm »

I'm not telling you to marry it ...  :-DD
It's a damn good signal generator for a very little money... And  it has natural convection cooling, so it has no fan. It is silent... Nice thing to have when playing with audio..

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
I bought the Siglent SDG2082X and it is a really nice 80 MHz AWG.  The 40 MHz version, SDG2042X is $499.
Note that only sine waves go to full frequency, square waves are limited to 25 MHz.

One of the neat things about the Siglent is the ability to add harmonics of various degrees, phase and amplitude to the fundamental.  I think you can add up to 8 harmonics on the 2082.  This is a nice feature when you want to cook up odd waveforms and is probably totally useless for audio.  It may apply to other AWGs...

Two channels is another nice feature.  Sometimes you just need two signals.  It can also be used to drive both X and Y of a scope.  You can add in fundamentals and harmonics to both channels and come up with a heart shape for Valentine's day.  There's a thread in Test Equipment but I haven't been able to find it in the last year or so.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:26 pm »
I bought the Siglent SDG2082X and it is a really nice 80 MHz AWG.  The 40 MHz version, SDG2042X is $499.
Note that only sine waves go to full frequency, square waves are limited to 25 MHz.

One of the neat things about the Siglent is the ability to add harmonics of various degrees, phase and amplitude to the fundamental.  I think you can add up to 8 harmonics on the 2082.  This is a nice feature when you want to cook up odd waveforms and is probably totally useless for audio.  It may apply to other AWGs...

Two channels is another nice feature.  Sometimes you just need two signals.  It can also be used to drive both X and Y of a scope.  You can add in fundamentals and harmonics to both channels and come up with a heart shape for Valentine's day. There's a thread in Test Equipment but I haven't been able to find it in the last year or so.
Found it.....took a bit as some links seem broken.  :-//
Let's see if this one works:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/a-valentine_s-day-activity-for-your-scope-and-function-generator/

This was done with a SDG1062X:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rstofer

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 01:34:19 am »

Two channels is another nice feature.  Sometimes you just need two signals.  It can also be used to drive both X and Y of a scope.  You can add in fundamentals and harmonics to both channels and come up with a heart shape for Valentine's day.  There's a thread in Test Equipment but I haven't been able to find it in the last year or so.
Similar features on the Rigols as well. The DG800 series goes up to 35MHz/10MHz (sinewave/square), while the DG1000Z goes up to 60MHz/25MHz (sinewave/square). None of this matters for audio, though.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 03:54:53 am »
Unless you need the interface or arbitrary waveform gen functionality, it may make more sense to buy an older HP/Agilent, Tektronix, etc. rather than neutering your options by needing a new one.

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 02:05:16 pm »
Unless you need the interface or arbitrary waveform gen functionality, it may make more sense to buy an older HP/Agilent, Tektronix, etc. rather than neutering your options by needing a new one.

arb waveform gen is fun though, especially if you got all your gear hooked up to your desktop and have matlab. Been a fucking blessing in my EComms class, can run audio from my computer to the function gen and modulate it, demodulate it with a circuit, view both at same time.

I bought the DM3058E, 1054z, DP832, DG1022z as present to myself when I gained a small amount of money out of luck. I'm very happy with it all. I'm not a professional by any means. Compared to the stuff I have access to at school (practically top of the line agilent,keysight gear), for the stuff I do, I dont feel like my personal gear is lacking.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf