Author Topic: Suggestions wanted for "Soft Latching Power Switch" ICs  (Read 4997 times)

Offline ManuautoTopic starter

Suggestions wanted for "Soft Latching Power Switch" ICs
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:13 pm »
Hi,

I'd appreciate any suggestions for cheap, available and preferably easy to use ICs which are designed to be used in a latching On/Off Power Button circuit.
I am aware that Dave made a video on this topic, describing how this function can be achieved with jelly-bean parts.
This circuit has it's flaws and isn't exactly very (noob-) user friendly.

While looking for something a bit more practical and "advanced", I came across the Henry HR810: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6A-DC-3V-3-3V-3-7V-5V-Electronic-Switch-Latch-Bistable-Self-locking-Trigger-Board/32795061369.html
The module works great.

Sadly I cannot find a way to purchase the IC cheaply without the mosfet etc.

Other requirements:
- low voltage operation (battery power, singe cell Li-Ion)
- low quiescent current / low power consumption
- low price  ;) (Aliexpress would be good because of the usually free shipping)!

Less important
- maybe even a built-in mosfet
- reasonably large footprint, maybe even "DIP-friendly"

I am not asking for the "perfect solution" and am very happy about simple hints and general ideas as to which components could be used.  :D

When searching the internet for suitable parts, I came across several Ti parts which weren't available on Aliexpress. Digikey has them (TPS3422) but I'd have to pay shipping...  :-\

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:02:43 pm by Manuauto »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestions wanted for "Soft Latching Power Switch" ICs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:06:49 am »
Look at flip-flop ICs, such as the 74HC74, which contain two. They're also available in single, to save space, but they're SMT only.

Offline ManuautoTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:25:26 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. I came across several circuits with flip-flop ICs when looking for ways to implement this function.
I thought, that they are not exactly "zero-power when off" but actually they seem to be a viable option!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:32 am »
4013 is another option just check the datasheets for low voltage operation and select a low gate voltage MOSFET that'll work at the voltage you use.
CD varieties might just work or you could be better off with an HEF version.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Manuauto

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:10:14 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. I came across several circuits with flip-flop ICs when looking for ways to implement this function.
I thought, that they are not exactly "zero-power when off" but actually they seem to be a viable option!
There really is no such thing as zero power when off. Any circuit will consume a tiny amount of power.

The NLX1 will consume 1µA worst case (it'll probably be  much less than that, around 100nA), at an operating temperature of less than 25°C and less than 10µA, at an ambient temperature of 125°C. It's very difficult to beat that.
https://assets.nexperia.com/documents/data-sheet/74LVC1G74.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Manuauto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf