Author Topic: Supplying both DC and AC power to a device?  (Read 936 times)

Offline MatazaNzTopic starter

Supplying both DC and AC power to a device?
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »
I'm building a very simple dehydrator that utilises a 12v PC fan, and a 275w heat lamp bulb. To begin with, I'm just going to have a standard AC extension cable going into a dual outlet splitter. A cheap 12v DC power supply in one outlet, and the other outlet going to the heat lamp (Well, the socket the heat lamp is screwed into). While this will work fine for my uses, it will be very hacked together, and I feel like I can take it as a learning opportunity.

My initial thought is to have an IEC socket input, like a standard PC power cable, then have that going to a power supply, which will give a 220v AC output line and 12v DC output line. However, I don't know if I'm able to have a power supply output both DC and AC, or should I split the AC input before the power supply and only have a DC supply?

I'm only just beginning to learn electronics (I have a basic understanding, after watching Dave for a little while, and reading material online), so forgive me if there is something obvious I'm missing. Is this something that I should try not messing with right now?

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
Re: Supplying both DC and AC power to a device?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
If the heat lamp is rated to operate from 220 then there is no reason not to connect it directly to the 220 line where it comes into the dehydrator on the IEC connector. Wire fuses and switch in the circuit as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:13:41 pm by ArthurDent »

The following users thanked this post: MatazaNz

Offline MatazaNzTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:58 pm »
If the heat lamp is rated to operate from 220 then there is no reason not to connect it directly to the 220 line where it comes into the dehydrator on the IEC connector. Wire fuses and switch in the circuit as well.

Makes sense. So I can split the output (Or would it technically be input?) from the IEC connector into 2, and have one line going directly to the lamp, and one going to a DC supply? Is it really as simple as that? Switches and fuses are definitely on my list (One input fuse, and a switch each for the fan and the lamp is what I'm thinking)

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:47 pm »
If you can find one of the combination IEC/fuse/switch combinations you could make the wiring simple.

https://cdn.instructables.com/FFJ/JLT1/IYB2EI0X/FFJJLT1IYB2EI0X.LARGE.jpg

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 10:14:11 pm »
Yes you can wire up both the power supply and the lamp to the same IEC socket, this is no problem at all. Keep all the line voltage connections safely isolated from anything conductive and keep the low voltage wiring away from the line voltage wiring.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf