Author Topic: switching-mode PSUs: looking for theory and design guide materials (books?)  (Read 1151 times)

Offline 0dbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
From "simple" single rail switched mode PSUs, to complex ones, I am willing to learn the theory from the scratch. Can you suggest some good book or course?

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
Check this video out:

The following users thanked this post: 0db

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Study SMPS controller IC datasheets and particularly their typical application circuits.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
"Fundamentals of Power Electronics" is theory heavy and really starts from square one. If you work your way through it you will understand how to derive most of what you see in power electronics, it's used in a lot of grad level college courses.

The material is available in slide form from the course website of one of the authors: https://ecee.colorado.edu/~ecen5797/notes.html , a full PDF is available on all the usual sites.

Fundamentals of Power Electronics is a good fallback if you want to understand how everything is derived but is a bit dense. If you are mainly interested in SMPS design and topologies that are currently commercially popular you would best be served by manufacture app notes, as stated by others. TI has a lot of good material you can find. As an arbitrary example, the "Power Topologies Handbook" pretty exhaustively covers all non-resonant topologies https://www.ti.com/seclit/ug/slyu036/slyu036.pdf .

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
A good place to start is the book "Switch-Mode Power Supply Reference Manual" from ON Semiconductor (ref. no. SMPSRM-D.PDF).
It's downloadable for free from www.onsemi.com

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:38:36 pm by Benta »

Offline 0dbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
this one? Just downloaded. Thanks!

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
Yep, that's the one, I had a slash instead of a dash in the reference number, sorry. Now corrected.

I see you're in Zambia. I lived two years in Kitwe :)   (69...71).

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:39:02 pm by Benta »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf