Author Topic: Switching on a dvb decoder without its remote controller  (Read 428 times)

Offline ThunderZedTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Switching on a dvb decoder without its remote controller
« on: May 21, 2022, 07:13:38 pm »
I've got a very old adb i-can 2000t decoder, I lost its original remote controller and now I'd like to switch it on and keep on using. That's not a "real" problem, I'd just like to use it to make some (cheap) experiments :)

This is the story. After I lost its remote controller I bought a very cheap chinese programmable remote controller, I ran it for frequencies scanning and it got a right working frequency. Then I used it for that first time regularly to change channels, etc. and then I just switched the decoder off by the proper controller button. The next time I tried to switch it on by the controller button I couldn't! As you can imagine the problem was that specific controller program had no "on" button and the decoder itself has no buttons as well, so I couldn't run the controller another time to scan frequencies again to try another program.
Now when I connect the decoder to its power supply I can see its led getting red for first and then orange while when it switched on its led was green.

I googled a bit and I red it could be sometime possible to switch some decoders on just plugging and unplugging again and again their power supplies. Are you experienced with this trick?

I'd want to ask you if it's possible to program a very cheap remote controller with a full working program for that decoder, I mean without running frequency scanning, just on its IR with the decoder switched off as in my scenario. I know every remote controller has its own codes so my bet is it isn't. Anyway is there any way to get all the working remote controller's programs with a certain decoder only using its IR? We can know IR frequency but it's not enough but afaik an IR has got a data pin so my bet is that it's theoretically possible. I'm I wrong?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:35:00 am by ThunderZed »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: Switching on a dvb decoder without its remote controller
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 10:05:02 pm »
Ciao!
The IR works as a transmission medium, like sending morse code through light, pulses go in, pulses go out, nothing "smart" in the middle, the IR receiver only filters and demodulates IR pulses of certain frequency (38,40,42KHz...), ignoring everything else, it's the system (processor, mcu, SoC) reading the output pulses who has to decode the sequence and compare the result.

Normally there's no such thing of separate ON and OFF buttons, you might want to try searching the codes again, skipping the one you're currently using.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 10:09:17 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Switching on a dvb decoder without its remote controller
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 11:57:08 pm »
Couple of things...

1) Doing a search on ebay.iy for "adb i-can 2000t decoder" yields a lot of listings for ADB remote controls, e.g. for the "2100T" model. Would that work?

2) I found an XCF file on remotecentral.com for the ADB i-CAN 2000T:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=professional&db=devices&br=adb&dv=settopbox&md=ican2000t&kw=&pg=1&file=professional/systems/roberto_xcf.zip

Apparently it is an encoding of the IR codes that are used for the remote. Interpreting that file may be a challenge, but there are programs which can read that kind of file, e.g.:

https://github.com/openremote/Documentation/wiki/Philips-Pronto-IR-codes-from-XCF-files

so the file format must be documented somewhere. Or you could ask on the OpenRemote forum ( https://forum.openremote.io/ ) for assistance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf