Author Topic: Synchronous motors questions  (Read 2442 times)

Offline GoatZeroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Synchronous motors questions
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »
 i have been reading about synchronous motors, and i actually got one from a microwave , i was playing around with it and suddenly when i was spinning the propeller i got shocked, by touching the terminals

i pulled out a multimetter to meassure voltage in CD and CA and both are getting generated, (way more CA than CD)

so now i wonder

Why is this happening?

Is it generating AC or DC ?

Whats the max voltage i can get from spining this thing ?

I have to go out i will plug it to an oscilloscope later tonight however i wanted to ask so maybe someone gere can give me any leads of why is this happening
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:00:10 am by GoatZero »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
Re: Synchronous motors questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:52:50 am »
it's a 120v motor rated for 6 rpm.

it will generate AC, at a pretty high voltage, put your multimeter on it in ac, stick it in a vice/vise and SLOWLY spin the shaft with your hand, and then with a drill to see what kind of voltage you get, you might be surprised.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:43:37 am »
maybe someone gere can give me any leads of why is this happening

Ask yourself the question"what is the difference between a motor and a generator".

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:28 am »
it will generate AC, at a pretty high voltage, put your multimeter on it in ac, stick it in a vice/vise and SLOWLY spin the shaft with your hand, and then with a drill to see what kind of voltage you get, you might be surprised.
I wouldn't advise the latter - this looks like a geared motor with a very high reduction ratio (designed for 6RPM out) and pushing it much beyond that has a high chance of breaking something.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:41:09 pm »
That's exactly why he said slowly.

It's not only the gears which could be a problem, if you spin it too quickly, the output voltage could be too high for the insulation, causing it to arc over.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
As it is a synchronous motor it has a permanent magnet on a shaft. Turn the magnet and you make a changing magnetic field in a coil of wire, which generates a voltage. Slightly different construction is used to make an alternator like in your portable genset, but the principles are the same.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf