Author Topic: Test Lead Connectors  (Read 688 times)

Offline Cowboyengine3rTopic starter

Test Lead Connectors
« on: April 12, 2024, 03:10:18 am »
Been doing a lot of in the field electrical diagnostics. The machinery vibrations are causing the plugs to back out of the adapters. I've been using velcro cable ties to hold them in place but when there's nothing to attach thats when I have issues. I was thinking of using mini or micro BNC connectors as they lock in place quickly. Anything connectors I'm missing that are very durable, quick to connect and disconnect even with gloved hands, and won't be impaired by the cold or weather as this is all field work.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Lead Connectors
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 03:24:37 am »
I think it would be helpful if you gave a better description or a photo of what you're probing. There may be not great solution, but it's hard to imagine what you're poking at with this vague description. 

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 08:43:38 am »
Yeah, please provide more background. What’s the test equipment? What is the device under test? What are you measuring? (That is, what is the value you’re trying to measure.)  What are the current connectors that keep coming out? How are you connecting, since you mention adapters?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:04:03 am by tooki »

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 11:37:54 am »
Fore low current and voltage I would use the M12 connector.  Sorry for test lead? I guess BNC is better.

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 12:05:28 pm »
Sound like you need an Industrial grade connector. This is a pretty rarely used beast, so it's best to look for them on the manufacturers' websites (HiRose, Molex, TE Connectivity) in their respective Application sections (Applications/Industries) rather than in the Products section.

Offline Cowboyengine3rTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 12:07:08 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. I'm testing electrical harnesses on machinery, wide variety. Usually I'm readings signal voltages, 3v-24v and ohms. Test equipment is DMM's and long test leads with banana plugs on the ends to reach the operators station. The leads are connected to a tee harness on the machine side, sometimes just back-probes if the connector is suspected. The banana plugs are vibrating out of the sockets on the harness side when the machine is running making it difficult to troubleshoot. I need a better connector, that will stay locked in place.

I've looked into the M12 connectors and have used them on other things before but they are kinda finicky and are slow to attach and detach.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:12:06 pm by Cowboyengine3r »

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 02:12:30 pm »
Carry a roll of electrical tape, maybe in a bright color? Or maybe MC4 solar connectors.

With BNC you'll want the isolated version without exposed metal that can short out on stuff.

The following users thanked this post: Cowboyengine3r

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 08:57:54 am »
Sorry for the confusion. I'm testing electrical harnesses on machinery, wide variety. Usually I'm readings signal voltages, 3v-24v and ohms. Test equipment is DMM's and long test leads with banana plugs on the ends to reach the operators station. The leads are connected to a tee harness on the machine side, sometimes just back-probes if the connector is suspected. The banana plugs are vibrating out of the sockets on the harness side when the machine is running making it difficult to troubleshoot. I need a better connector, that will stay locked in place.

I've looked into the M12 connectors and have used them on other things before but they are kinda finicky and are slow to attach and detach.
What are the sockets you’re plugging the banana plugs into? If it’s inline banana jacks, what about just doing the trick of tying the plug and socket into an overhand knot? That keeps them together, since tension pulls the plugs toward each other. Also, there are differences in plug retention between banana plug manufacturers; some brands simply don’t mate tightly with others.

BNC in theory would work, but because most BNC connectors are designed to be used with coaxial cable, you’d need to make sure your measurements are OK with that (coax cable has higher capacitance) and that it’s still safe, since ordinary coax isn’t designed for safety the way multimeter leads are. I’d probably sooner crimp some Mini-Fit Jr. if it doesn’t need to be protected, or something like Amphenol Ecomate Plastic (or the equivalent Belden CA series or Binder RD24 series) for some protection, or something like Binder 720 series for waterproof.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 09:03:37 am »
Sound like you need an Industrial grade connector. This is a pretty rarely used beast, so it's best to look for them on the manufacturers' websites (HiRose, Molex, TE Connectivity) in their respective Application sections (Applications/Industries) rather than in the Products section.
For industrial connectors, I’d sooner suggest Harting, Amphenol, Binder, Belden (Hirschmann, Lumberg Automation), etc.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 09:21:35 am »
Here’s what I mean about tying the leads together. I’m using a banana coupler since I only have male banana plugs around.

Picture 3130 shows the plugs directly in the overhand knot. Easy to do and undo, but puts a lot of strain on the wire where it enters the plug body, especially under tension. Easily solved by putting zip ties onto it, one over each plug body, providing generous loops for strain relief. There are probably even better versions of this approach.

Picture 3131 shows an overhand knot made by holding both leads in parallel, creating strain relief far from the plugs. But it’s bulkier overall and harder to undo, especially if the leads have been pulled on a lot.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:23:46 am by tooki »

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 02:30:40 am »
Been doing a lot of in the field electrical diagnostics. The machinery vibrations are causing the plugs to back out of the adapters. I've been using velcro cable ties to hold them in place but when there's nothing to attach thats when I have issues. I was thinking of using mini or micro BNC connectors as they lock in place quickly. Anything connectors I'm missing that are very durable, quick to connect and disconnect even with gloved hands, and won't be impaired by the cold or weather as this is all field work.
It really depends upon what you mean by field work. 

If it is work that gets repeated regularly I might create a test harness with something like TE Mate-N-Lok connectors (or similar).   If you have the room to mount a panel jack in a fixed manner then the latching plugs are easy to use.   If needed you can run multiple conductor cables to wherever your meter might be, even building a switch box to change to different signals.   Mate-N-Lok and similar are cheap and you can get connectors in any reasonable number of poles.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf