Author Topic: Test Triac with Multimeter  (Read 1102 times)

Online 2XTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Test Triac with Multimeter
« on: April 01, 2020, 07:43:49 am »
Hello, I am measuring the triac BT136 and some other triacs in order to find a way to test them with multimeter. If I measure the triac between the Teminal 1 (Positive lead of multimeter with the Gate pin together) and Teminal 2 (negative lead of multimeter) the multimeter doesn't show anything but if I reverse the multimeter leads it measures ok. I can't understand hy happens this because the triac is a bidirectional component. I have made a diagram in the below picture of how and what I measured. Does anyone knows why this is happend?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Triac with Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:57:04 am »
Hello, I am measuring the triac BT136 and some other triacs in order to find a way to test them with multimeter. If I measure the triac between the Teminal 1 (Positive lead of multimeter with the Gate pin together) and Teminal 2 (negative lead of multimeter) the multimeter doesn't show anything but if I reverse the multimeter leads it measures ok. I can't understand hy happens this because the triac is a bidirectional component. I have made a diagram in the below picture of how and what I measured. Does anyone knows why this is happend?
Yes, this is exactly what you should expect to happen. Your equivalent schematic of a TRIAC is incorrect. A TRIAC will trigger when a current flows through the gate to terminal 1. If the gate is connected to terminal 1, then no current will flow through the gate and it won't trigger. If the gate is connected to terminal 2, then current will flow from terminal 2, through the gate to terminal 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIAC

Online 2XTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Test Triac with Multimeter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:15:22 am »
Thank you very much for the help and the link.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf