Author Topic: The Art of Electronics 3rd Edition (Improved) Amazon Fake  (Read 4343 times)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: The Art of Electronics 3rd Edition (Improved) Amazon Fake
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 10:18:10 am »
In 2015, I paid AMZ $103.80  (including tax) for my copy of the 3rd edition.  Second edition, which I still go to, was a lot less.

Hmm, I paid €75 in March 2015 from amazon.de
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2023, 10:50:14 am »
But do not compare nominal value of 2015 $ and € to 2023. :D

SuzyC: thank you for removing the link. One may have different opinions about unauthorized copies & co., but blatanly posting the link on a public forum like EEVblog is both causing trouble to Dave and disservice to Internet Archive.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline BigBeardTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2023, 02:04:21 pm »

I just looked at the link that you provided and it doesn't say "Sold and Shipped by Amazon".  It says "Rented from an Amazon  Warehouse" and "Fulfilled by Amazon".   

When I click the link I posted here, (same link in your quote) I don't see a rent option, or Amazon Warehouse... only Ships and Sold by Amazon. See attached Pic. You may see those as options, but it doesn't mean everyone does.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2023, 10:46:15 am »
What's the exact significant differences between a genuine and a counterfeit copy  in actual content anyway?

The genuine copy actually contains a royalty to the authors.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: 807

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2023, 10:52:26 am »
What's the exact significant differences between a genuine and a counterfeit copy  in actual content anyway?

The genuine copy actually contains a royalty to the authors.  ::)
Also it's better quality and does not contain OCR errors.

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 11:10:34 am »
Well I decided to post here, since I have bought this book, official edition, in India, for far less price than it is sold on Amazon, but someone already mentioned that.
So no stranger that someone are reselling the Indian version on Amazon. And no, Indian version is not fake, it is just printed for the different market.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 11:14:56 am »
From the US DOJ:
The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner.

Yes, it can be sold if legally bought elsewhere and resold; however, I suspect it must be sold as "used, like new," as you are not an authorized reseller.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2023, 01:13:35 pm »
From the US DOJ:
The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner.

Yes, it can be sold if legally bought elsewhere and resold; however, I suspect it must be sold as "used, like new," as you are not an authorized reseller.
Do you realize that the vast majority of goods are sold by non authorized resellers? Goods do not suddenly become used if manufacturer, publisher or whoever did not authorize particular reseller.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2023, 01:20:11 pm »
An item becomes "used" in the US (which was the scenario) when first sold to a non-authorized reseller.  That applies to books, cars, photographic equipment, and so forth.  Try to get warranty service in the US on an international version (i.e., not approved for sale in the US) camera made by Nikon for example.  Of course, laws in other countries may be different.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2023, 01:25:26 pm »
An item becomes "used" in the US (which was the scenario) when first sold to a non-authorized reseller.  That applies to books, cars, photographic equipment, and so forth.  Try to get warranty service in the US on an international version (i.e., not approved for sale in the US) camera made by Nikon for example.  Of course, laws in other countries may be different.
Then I guess you bought quite a bit of used parts from Digikey or Mouser.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2023, 01:45:48 pm »

I think you are mistaking "Used" with "Grey Market" inports...

If both items are "NOS" or "New Condition" but are not warranty by the official distributor in the country then it means they are Grey Imports.

In the case you explain, that's because Nikon have a division for the US and Canada and an International Division.

Cameras for the US and Canada market have their serial no starting with US, International ones don't.

International support are not autorize to warrant any US Camera and the opposite.

Also cameras bought in countries that are not their distribution market (as Japanese Serial No cameras being sold in Hong Kong) are also not warrant, even if they have a valid warranty and receipt (they check by the serial no allocated per region).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:56:54 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2023, 08:38:37 pm »
This is a big problem with Amazon... if a SKU is sold by Amazon and other sellers they will mix the inventory in a single bin.  So while you'd expect a genuine book/battery/sdcard/etc because it's sold by a seemingly reputable dealer, you get screwed by the fraudulent ones.  Mouser and Best Buy have gotten a lot more of my business because of Amazon's bad business practice.
Really doubt. Seller items come with their own ASIN barcode sticker while Amazon own stock in plain manufacturer package with no additional barcodes. This may well be someone bought a genuine one and then returned counterfeit garbage which was then put back in stock.
Nope. Stock commingling is a big problem that is well-documented.

At least now it appears to be something that is theoretically opt-in for a vendor:
https://www.elverconsultancy.co.uk/what-is-amazon-commingling-and-why-would-i-use-it/
https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/amazon-counterfeit-fake-products/

A vendor can choose to use special stickers and even individual serialization to ensure no commingling happens. But that comes with its own limitations and costs.

What isn't clear is whether Amazon itself participates on a given item. For sure, in the past, they have. For some items, like Apple USB chargers, the problem was so bad that Apple took their products off Amazon entirely until Amazon agreed to allow Apple to vet the vendors of their products:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/more-apple-products-are-coming-to-amazon-under-a-new-deal.html
https://www.vice.com/en/article/bjexb5/amazon-is-kicking-all-unauthorized-apple-refurbishers-off-the-site

Tangentially related, I found this article while searching for the ones above:
https://www.geekwire.com/2021/concerns-amazon-apple-removes-product-review-analyzer-fakespot-app-store/
Because of course Amazon would fight something that exposes fakes.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:47:42 pm by tooki »

Offline BigBeardTopic starter

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2023, 07:07:19 am »
Finally had a moment to post an update, I've been moving my shop to a larger space. The books (decided to gamble and buy all 3 of the series) from The Book Depository are genuine, and arrived quicker than I anticipated. I also spoke to a rep about the issue I had with Amazon and they were 100% ok if I needed to send them back. One thing that stood out to me right out the box was they were sealed in a plastic wrap where Amazon's were not. That might have no meaning but it's worth noting. One of my sons has a growing interest in electronics and this was well worth the money spent. I've set him up with his own workbench next to mine and I'm thrilled to see him join his pops in the shop  8)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline bidrohini1

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2023, 08:41:37 am »
Thanks for making us aware.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2024, 05:26:25 am »
I bought a text book from Amazon a few years ago. It was new, not used and I'm pretty sure it was shipped and sold by Amazon but maybe not. On the cover was an odd yellow sticker, so I peeled it off. Underneath it said:

Indian Edition
For Sale in India only

You just never know what you're gonna get from them these days.

That's the same as the US edition only priced differently.  So in the US the publisher will sell a $10 book for $120, in India they'll sell the same book for $15.  It's a great way to get outrageously overpriced textbooks for a more reasonable price, just look on eBay for the non-US editions.  You're getting the real deal, just not paying the ripoff markup charged to US and European buyers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf