Author Topic: what an oscilloscope recommended for a woman passionate about electronics?  (Read 39686 times)

Offline jdutky

• Regular Contributor
Re: what an oscilloscope recommended for a woman passionate about electronics?
« Reply #875 on: November 02, 2020, 02:15:44 am »
That took less than 10 seconds on Google:
READY Lamp-Indicates A Sweep is "armed" and upon receipt of an adequate trigger signal, will present a single-sweep display.

It's also on Page 9 of the User Manual - Item 26
https://www.dennlec.com/images/manuals/tek-475-op-manual.pdf

It's the same indicator on my 485 so I had a bit of a head start.  That is a great series of scopes!

Yes, that's in the version for 475+DMM (my 475 is the base model without the DMM, and comes with a manual that omits the DMM-related topics), but, again, it's not very helpful unless you know what "armed" refers to.

I've never seen the light illuminated on 475. Have you ever seen it lit on your 485? If so, how did you get to that condition?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #876 on: November 02, 2020, 07:14:11 am »
Of course you can have the H-Pos marker off the display and then the pointer tips sideways to indicate it is however without the + number you have no way to tell how far it is off the display. The number only is there to show how far the H-Pos is from the 0s position (middle of display) and serves no other purpose.
It is only an OSD like V/div and timebase settings.

I'm thinking that the delay value might be quite useful if I am interested in some part of the signal that happens a relatively long time after the trigger.  I want to know how long after the trigger the event occurs.
Yes but on a DSO we can use cursors for that.
An example below with the horizontal trigger point not centralised and in zoom mode we can see the pointer sideways signifying it's off the display yet in the unzoomed portion it is on the display. We might use cursors to give us a packet to packet measurement so to calculate the baud rate of a datastream.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Come visit us at EMEX 15th - 17th February. Hall 1 Stand 1002
https://www.emex.co.nz/

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #877 on: November 02, 2020, 07:34:15 am »
I'm thinking that the delay value might be quite useful if I am interested in some part of the signal that happens a relatively long time after the trigger.  I want to know how long after the trigger the event occurs.
Yes but on a DSO we can use cursors for that.
Yes, and cursors are very powerful.  I'm thinking about a situation where the trigger position isn't on the screen given the time/div setting, it's WAY over to the left but I don't want to change the time/div.  This feature isn't nearly as powerful as cursors but it seems like it might be handy.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #878 on: November 02, 2020, 07:45:25 am »
I've never seen the light illuminated on 475. Have you ever seen it lit on your 485? If so, how did you get to that condition?

Try this:  Input a signal, I used a square wave.  With the sweep mode set at "Auto Trig", adjust the trigger for a stable display.  Now increase the trigger level until the trace starts to roll.

Switch the sweep mode to Single Sweep and the Ready light should light up and there won't be a trace because the trigger level is outside the range of the signal.  Now slowly decrease the trigger level until you get one sweep and the trigger is no longer Ready.  You can use the momentary "Reset" position to re-arm the trigger.  A Single Sweep on a CRO is pretty useless for anything other than photography.  Or for a VERY slow time/division.

"Armed" just means the trigger circuit is ready and waiting for a trigger condition.  There are 4 trigger input Sources and 4 trigger Coupling methods.  I am using AC Coupling, and Int trigger.  And a 485 which I hope is similar...

The following users thanked this post: jdutky

Offline CharlotteSwiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #879 on: November 22, 2020, 08:42:19 pm »
I update for the problem of saving the display images on a USB key in my sds1202: I bought 2 small keys (1GB), but I usually block the oscilloscope.
Now I am trying another method: the manual says to format FAT32, the I want to try to format FAT.
From the first tests it seems not to cause the problem, but I haven't tried many times; I will keep the situation updated!
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline CharlotteSwiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #880 on: November 22, 2020, 08:54:50 pm »
I was playing with the oscilloscope to better learn how to use it; I tried to measure the RC circuit in the image below with my 1202; I wanted to see the capacitor charging phase on the display.
Charging time should be approximately: 5xR1xC = 1-2 seconds
As soon as I close the left circuit, the capacitor immediately charges up to 9v, then the circuit remains at 9v with no current circulation.
I would have liked to have the full charge curve on the display, but I have not yet managed to capture it complete: sometimes I only have the screen of the final part of the charge ...
I guess I learned very little, I should have figured out how to capture the charge curve .. rejected!  :--

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #881 on: November 22, 2020, 08:55:28 pm »
I update for the problem of saving the display images on a USB key in my sds1202: I bought 2 small keys (1GB), but I usually block the oscilloscope.
Now I am trying another method: the manual says to format FAT32, the I want to try to format FAT.
From the first tests it seems not to cause the problem, but I haven't tried many times; I will keep the situation updated!
 :popcorn:
Recently I read that a full format not a quick format will provide better results when having problems with USB sticks.

BTW, what OS is the PC you use running ?
Maybe format the sticks on another PC will give a different result.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #882 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:06 pm »
I was playing with the oscilloscope to better learn how to use it; I tried to measure the RC circuit in the image below with my 1202; I wanted to see the capacitor charging phase on the display.
As soon as I close the left circuit, the capacitor immediately charges up to 9v, then the circuit remains at 9v with no current circulation.
I would have liked to have the full charge curve on the display, but I have not yet managed to capture it complete: sometimes I only have the screen of the final part of the charge ...
I guess I learned very little, I should have figured out how to capture the charge curve .. rejected!  :--
Try dedicated Roll mode 500ms/div and Single trigger. Place the horizontal trigger position near the edge of the display if necessary.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline CharlotteSwiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #883 on: November 22, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »
Recently I read that a full format not a quick format will provide better results when having problems with USB sticks.

thanks taut
I generally do quick formatting .. I had also tried slow formatting anyway, but then the problem happened anyway; my operating system is windows 8.1.
this new 1Gb key, I had formatted it for the first time Fat32, and immediately made the problem; I then saw on the PC that he had created the PNG folder, but empty ... obviously everything is fine until he creates the folder, then when he has to save the file it crashes (sometimes ..)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #884 on: November 22, 2020, 09:13:18 pm »

thanks taut
I generally do quick formatting .. I had also tried slow formatting anyway, but then the problem happened anyway; my operating system is windows 8.1.
OK, I used 8.1 for a while but don't remember now if there was problems but I don't think so.
On W10 now and no problems.
You may remember some many posts back I tried to replicate your problem and saved 40+ screenshots without any. I'm using cheap 8GB Strontium sticks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline CharlotteSwiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #885 on: November 22, 2020, 10:00:45 pm »

thanks taut
OK, I used 8.1 for a while but don't remember now if there was problems but I don't think so.
On W10 now and no problems.
You may remember some many posts back I tried to replicate your problem and saved 40+ screenshots without any. I'm using cheap 8GB Strontium sticks.

and I don't know; I spoke too soon; with Fat format, it slowed down my keys; but then you have to do Fat32.
I could try to use the key on windows 7 of the other pc for a while.

Offline CharlotteSwiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #886 on: November 22, 2020, 10:11:59 pm »
Try dedicated Roll mode 500ms/div and Single trigger. Place the horizontal trigger position near the edge of the display if necessary.

it was enough to use single and move the trigger point to the left; here the charge of the capacitor is captured. I didn't get there by myself
(this time the stick worked, slow formatting..but I don't know next time ...)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf