Electronics > Beginners

This is a sombre topic: I was wondering if this story is possible(electrocution)

(1/10) > >>

blissed:
So in this german article

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/frankreich-verkabeltes-handy-faellt-in-badewanne-13-jaehrige-tot-a-56c24b50-f75d-4a1c-9336-6ca8bc46fe4c

it basicly says a girl dropped her mobile phone in the bath while charging and she got electrocuted and died days later in a hospital.

I"m an ex ee student and now computer science student.

So I was wondering if thats the hole story.

My first feeling was maybe the charger was in an extension cord and that  assembly got dropped in the bath, in which case I understand the outcome - no futher questions

However I dont think you could seriously electrocute yourself with 5v 1a charger, but I didnt consider modern fast chargers.

To my knowledge there are some mobile phone chargers with 65W or more.

I just would like to know what would happen if you drop the output of usb c fast chargers in for example a bath?

I would assume not a hole lot would happen aside from some water vaper, maybe im completly wrong but, because modern fast chargers proberly have pretty good protections. I would assume 230v mains would be much much worse


wraper:
If it was a counterfeit Chinese charger, there is nothing surprising about it. Usually they have barely any isolation from the mains voltage. And as there is basically no QC, they sometimes have a short between the mains and secondary side. Like solder bridge due to pad proximity or transformer defect.

wraper:
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-fake-chargers-study-2016-12

blissed:
I thought about cheap chinese chargers, sadly the article doesnt mention any details. In case of those death chargers I also completly understand. But if we assume its a original charger or a properly engineered charger

IanB:

--- Quote from: blissed on December 05, 2021, 05:28:26 pm ---My first feeling was maybe the charger was in an extension cord and that  assembly got dropped in the bath, in which case I understand the outcome - no futher questions
--- End quote ---

Actually, simply dropping a mains extension cord in the bath is unlikely to electrocute you in and of itself, since there wouldn't immediately be much of a current path through your heart. The danger happens if, through panic or lack of awareness, you pick up the end of the cord with your hand. At that point there could be a current path down your arm and through your chest.

What you should do if such an accident happens is bunch yourself up in a ball as far away from the extension cord as possible and call for help. Someone else can unplug the cord to remove the danger.

Unfortunately, most people would not have enough knowledge to react this way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version