Author Topic: Dumpster diving: NEC SpectraView 2690 Monitor - worth a go?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline jewelieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Everyone's gotta start somewhere
    • Personal website, of sorts, sometimes with a Pi-driven bird-feeder webcam (currently down but will be putting it up again in the near future with IR capability.)
Dumpster diving: NEC SpectraView 2690 Monitor - worth a go?
« on: December 29, 2018, 03:48:59 pm »
So, I've just noticed that there's one of these been dumped in our domestic communal bin area-

NEC SpectraView® Reference 2690 High-end 26 inch professional widescreen LCD monitor for colour critical applications with outstanding features and benefits for best picture quality and colour accuracy, outstanding ergonomics and economics.
• Consistent Wide Colour Gamut (107% AdobeRGB) from any angle with H-IPS display Truer colours with a wider colour gamut as soon as you switch on due to X-light® Pro and hardware calibration with 12-bit LUT (look up table) for 36-bit colour control and gamma correction, independent per colour and input
•Ergonomically mastered for comfortable viewing with ErgoDesign® and TORO™: Heightadjustable stand (150 mm) with 90° portrait capability
•Extraordinary features such as Digital Uniformity Control (ColorComp), Power On timer,ambix3™triple input, OSD KeyGuide, self diagnostics and X-light® Pro
•SpectraView® Profiler software, SpectraView® • Certifier document included

https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/support/productsupport/rp/Reference2690.xhtml

It doesn't look like it's been rained on since it's been put out.  Externally it looks in *exceptionally* good condition.

Is it worth a look do you think?

2009.  Is this near to the bad caps plague?

J
x
Anxious newbie to EEVblog.  Resuming an interest in basic electronics after a close shave with a joint EE/Computing degree decades ago

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: Dumpster diving: NEC SpectraView 2690 Monitor - worth a go?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 04:41:29 am »
I'd certainly give it a try.

I'd guess given the line it was assembled in Japan, so likely Japanese caps which are unlikely to be bad.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:09 am »
I'd certainly grab it and take a look. Even if it had been rained on that's not necessarily the end of the world. I recently grabbed a monitor that was laying in the grass by the side of the road getting rained on for a week. Turned out it works just fine after drying out, no idea why it was left there.

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:54:44 am »
So, I've just noticed that there's one of these been dumped in our domestic communal bin area-

NEC SpectraView® Reference 2690 High-end 26 inch professional widescreen LCD monitor for colour critical applications with outstanding features and benefits for best picture quality and colour accuracy, outstanding ergonomics and economics.
• Consistent Wide Colour Gamut (107% AdobeRGB) from any angle with H-IPS display Truer colours with a wider colour gamut as soon as you switch on due to X-light® Pro and hardware calibration with 12-bit LUT (look up table) for 36-bit colour control and gamma correction, independent per colour and input
•Ergonomically mastered for comfortable viewing with ErgoDesign® and TORO™: Heightadjustable stand (150 mm) with 90° portrait capability
•Extraordinary features such as Digital Uniformity Control (ColorComp), Power On timer,ambix3™triple input, OSD KeyGuide, self diagnostics and X-light® Pro
•SpectraView® Profiler software, SpectraView® • Certifier document included

https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/support/productsupport/rp/Reference2690.xhtml

It doesn't look like it's been rained on since it's been put out.  Externally it looks in *exceptionally* good condition.

Is it worth a look do you think?

2009.  Is this near to the bad caps plague?

Hi jewelie

That is a nice monitor- go for it. The normal problem with LCD monitors is the back-light if it is EL CCFL. Either the EL CCFL tube goes or the connections corrode. The fix is not that difficult but fiddley. You can get replacement EL CCFL tubes and they are not that expensive, even from the US. But even if you can't get the monitor working, it would be a good source of parts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:06:10 am by spec »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 05:47:51 pm »
I think you mean CCFL. I've never seen an EL backlight in a consumer monitor.

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:01:50 am »
I think you mean CCFL. I've never seen an EL backlight in a consumer monitor.
Quite right- will correct post. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf