Author Topic: TMC2100 SilentStepStick stepper motor driver  (Read 112 times)

Offline engineheat

• Regular Contributor
TMC2100 SilentStepStick stepper motor driver
« on: July 19, 2021, 05:10:02 pm »
I'm trying to use the SilentStepStick to drive a bi-polar stepper. While I got quiet operations, I keep on frying either the board or my Arduino. This may be due to improper startup/shutdown procedure. I was told to never disconnect the motor when it's moving.

Here's my setup:

Arduino Uno is powered by laptop via the USB cable, 5V pin on the Arduino goes to VIO on the SilentStepStick, pin 2 and 3 on Arduino controls the DIR and STEP on the SilentStepStick. GND on Arduino is connected to the same GND row on the breadboard that is also connected to GND on the SilentStepStick along with the negative terminal of the battery pack (four 18450 batteries, around 16 V), and the positive terminal of the battery pack goes to the VM pin of the SilentStepStick.

There is a large capacitor from the VM to GND

Then I got the M1A, M2A, M1B, M2B pins on the SilentStepStick connector to the stepper.

Given this setup, what is the proper way to shutoff/startup the motor and the Arduino? I heard one can write HIGH to EN pin on the driver to de-energize the motor, after which it would be safe to cut power to VM or disconnect the motor. But this requires the Arduino to write HIGH to it all the time, which is a problem if I want to power off the Arduino or upload a new sketch. If EN pin is low, and while the Arduino is on and connected to the driver, the motor will be spinning. How do I shut the thing off? Write HIGH to EN pin to de-energize the motor and then power off the Arduino and/or disconnect the battery pack?

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf