Author Topic: Tool Kit  (Read 2789 times)

Offline jlcstratTopic starter

Tool Kit
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:33 pm »
I got my first job as a technician in an engineering lab.  I'll need to buy a tool kit. Any recommendations?  Pre-packaged or put one together?

Offline MTron

• Regular Contributor
  • General hobbyist - modding, electronics, audio
Re: Tool Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »
As a moonlighting computer field tech i find the only kit i was ever (and am) happy with was the one i made myself. I found a nice messenger bag style tool bag, and i selected the tools i wanted.

I found that it was much cheaper over all, and better quality then most pre-made tool kits, especially since i patiently wait until there is a big sale at a local tool store. Here in Canada, we have Canadian tire. While the tools they make are generally not the best quality, you cant really screw up basic hand tools too much, so when their better ones go on sale (some times up to 50% off!) i buy em up.

As for the better quality tools, i shop around the smaller more niche tool supply outlets. Ebay is also a great source, thats where i got my Amprobe 34XR-A multimeter....really love this multimeter (save for the agonizingly slow continuity test)

Dont know what your kit size/load out needs to be, but i advocate making it urself

If your pressed for time buy a mid to low range kit and upgrade and expand as necessary, also gives u time to shop around for the tool bag/box you like.... this is the one i personally use...love it...http://kunysleather.com/products/detail002.asp?partNo=SW-1122
Your friendly neighborhood.....Dental Student
 - Latest Project - SIPP EL84 Tube Amp
 - Computer building/modding, IT, and DIY electronics!

Offline jlcstratTopic starter

Re: Tool Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:46:01 pm »
Thanks...That's a cool bag.  I'm expecting a suggested list of tools within the next few days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf