Author Topic: Total Newby and Meter Recommendation Please.  (Read 741 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline baddarryl

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: us
Total Newby and Meter Recommendation Please.
« on: January 29, 2017, 05:01:25 pm »
Hi all. I am scratching an itch that I have had for a long time. I am fairly mechanically inclined however un knowledgeable in general of electronics. I know how to do basic things like check voltage, resistance, and current on different things, but my knowledge is limited. I found EEVblog on youtube and have starting following and reading as much as I can. I am gaining knowledge to service my own autos, equipment, boat, and things around the house. I am nearing 50 so really just for my own personal quest.

I ordered an EEVblow Bryman 235 after watching some of Dave's reviews on meters which were incredibly informative. It appears I need to get a clamp current meter for things like starter motors in cars and boats etc. What is the best solution as a companion to this meter. I have thought about just picking up a dedicated clamp meter. If not what plugs into this Bryman and will work for me? I need a decent quality solution, but and not a pro that needs a $500 unit. I'd like to keep it around $100. I am in the US. Thank you.

As a side note I know many of you are Aussies. I have spent a little time there, have some friends there and love the place! Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:12:56 pm by baddarryl »

Offline Johncanfield

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Country: us
Re: Total Newby and Meter Recommendation Please.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:03:53 pm »
Absolutely,  get a clamp ammeter!  You can get a decent one for under $100, also some will measure DC current but their accuracy isn't that good under say 10 amps. Have a look around Amazon.

Offline rstofer

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6647
  • Country: us
Re: Total Newby and Meter Recommendation Please.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:31:07 pm »
You can buy a separate clamp-on ammeter at Home Depot or Lowe's.  These are specifically intended for electrical work (as opposed to electronics) and most have some kind of DMM functionality.  Leave your high quality EEVblog meter on your bench.

Or anything similar.

Some of these ammeters will measure DC, most won't.

I would buy a 1000A to 50 mV shunt resistor that I could wire in series with the starter and simply measure the voltage drop (the 50 mV full scale part) if I was really interested in starter motors.  From my experience, it is either defective bearings (armature dragging) or a defective battery.  Usually the battery...

The shunt could be like this but I would look for something less expensive:

You would need to come up with some kind of battery -> shunt -> battery cable jumper but that should be pretty easy.

I wouldn't object to using my high quality EEVblog meter to measure the 50 mV but I'm not sure that kind of accuracy is required.  There might be a place for a less capable and less costly meter.


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo