Author Topic: Transformer fabrication - Proven Winding Calculator/Software?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline MecanixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Transformer fabrication - Proven Winding Calculator/Software?
« on: September 09, 2021, 10:39:47 pm »
Just found out I have to make my own transformer for an off-line/high-freq SMPS I'm hoping to design and learn from (hopefully before getting zapped to my death with 220VAC). Making my own is not a problem hardware-wise, seems we have access to pretty much the whole hardware via eStores (cores, bobbins, mylar, etc etc). What I completely lack of is confidence (knowledge?) in manually calculating wire and sizes, ferrite core shapes and everything else relevant to the great science of transformation, electrons and magnetism...

So ranting aside; can someone (please) recommend a software toolkit that offers these calculations?

Thanks

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
Re: Transformer fabrication - Proven Winding Calculator/Software?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 12:25:12 am »
A couple I use are Xformer Designer designer and  EI Series Transformer Calculation  Both simple to use and fairly accurate .  The downloads are free and safe .

Other online calculator I some times use is Coil and transformer calculator which is more complex requiring more accurate information .

The following users thanked this post: Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 01:20:30 am »
Sweet, thanks JWillis. Fairly accurate is good enough-of-a-start for me :-+

Seen this? Although never seen, used, nor recommend a.k.a *use at your own risk*
https://www.poweresim.com/index2.jsp?topologytype=68&deduct=169&InitNow=T&pc=99309

ps. one day I'll get down to the physics and math, promise :/

edit: Rather.... https://www.poweresim.com/Xformer/Select_Application_Front_Page.jsp?default=T&designator=XF1&pc=1439
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:25:31 am by Mecanix »

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 01:32:03 am »
Simulators and me don't seem to get along . :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 01:46:25 am »
Good old Casio Scientific Calculator wins worlds!! Can see a week or two of 'theories' though... so that sim comes quite handy in the sense that it will get me a flyback TR on the benchtop in time for when the PCB and components will arrive. Copper wires and Dbl'ed the order of fuses lol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 02:05:46 pm »
Just a follow-up on the progress and the solution I've settled with. Not a huge fan of promoting anyone's products being clueless about all fronts (I'm sure they are the good guys lol) but I have to say that the application provided by power.com made it happen for a beginner; from schematics, BOM, to the manual fabrication of the magnetics... it just works!!!

Serious Plug & Play stuff...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf