Author Topic: transformer for lab power supply  (Read 963 times)

Offline glinjikTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
transformer for lab power supply
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:28:08 pm »
i got hold of this power stabaliser and was wondering on thoughts of the two transformers no idea what amps they are capable of but on the small one left side puts out 32v and second 62v the windings are together about 92 v the right hand side one about 46v looks like a single winding and the big roud thing is a filter i think it works ok hell of a buzzing noise though it comes from when the power was unstable here everyone had them output is 222.6 vac power from grid is 236 but wavering a bit this device is a very steady voltage output although i only powered it up for a short time got my eye on that big cap dont wanna fry again
All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie (Bob Dylan)

• Regular Contributor
Re: transformer for lab power supply
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:40:44 pm »
or maybe it would be better to keep it as a stabalised power supply and feed my bench supply from it ?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:45 pm »
Keep it as a stabilised power supply for the bench. might be isolated, might not, depends on the design, and watch out for that capacitor winding, it will run at anything from 100-600VAC across it, and will bite. If it fails replace with the exact value.

The following users thanked this post: glinjik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:58:09 pm »
hi thank you for your reply although tempting to take the transformers you are right i will leave it in tact i did a few more tests and watched th output in comparison with mains supply it is very stable whilst mains fluctuates 2-3 volts it seems to be built rock solid vey clean copper on the trasformers and that big filter cap is only like 16mf 250v +-10% i measured the esr @ 0.1   \$\Omega\$ so its still good made in 1992 does buzz though need to put it at the other end of my play pen :-DD

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 12:40:21 am »
Ferroresonant transformer Or Constant Voltage Transformer (CVT) Will buzz or hum ,thats normal.Resonant LC circuit inside makes them hum.That's what the cap is for.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 01:10:47 am »
i got hold of this power stabaliser
You got hold of it, or it got hold of you? ;D How are you going to clean it? Looks like a good find, though...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 02:00:52 am »
its not getting hold of me lol keeping y fingers well away when its powered up. but  seriously  they are 10 a penny here i stripped a smaller version down a while ago to use the case

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf