Author Topic: Trouble shooting  (Read 433 times)

Offline joshuajcmacdonaldTopic starter

Trouble shooting
« on: December 01, 2022, 03:12:31 pm »
So I was recently given some new gear (yay!) But in just a few days the power supply quit. I took the unit appart and found the black dust all though. My fist thought was a capacitor. So I checked each one desoldering and checking with a meter before putting them back an and they were all 110%. I have stange power values going into the dc to dc transformer. I have seen motors make the dust but not a transformer. Also getting some strange readings from the transistor just before the power goes to the stepndown transformer.

Can I check the transistor with a multimeter in circut? Also I have voltages on one side of the transformer intermittently but then nothing on the other side. I am considering it dead. Anyone albe to help me?

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
Re: Trouble shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 03:50:12 pm »
So I was recently given some new gear (yay!) But in just a few days the power supply quit. I took the unit appart and found the black dust all though. My fist thought was a capacitor. So I checked each one desoldering and checking with a meter before putting them back an and they were all 110%. I have stange power values going into the dc to dc transformer. I have seen motors make the dust but not a transformer. Also getting some strange readings from the transistor just before the power goes to the stepndown transformer.

Can I check the transistor with a multimeter in circut? Also I have voltages on one side of the transformer intermittently but then nothing on the other side. I am considering it dead. Anyone albe to help me?

Sorry, but your post is about nothing. "Some new gear", "black dust", "strange power values", "some strange readings", "voltages on one side".

Please post device model, some description, picture of PCB, describe the measurements you did and the values you've got. Then someone might be able to help you.

Welcome to the forum.

The following users thanked this post: BradC

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
Re: Trouble shooting
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:27:35 pm »
The new gear is used? If they are new they should have some warranty. If new gear without warranty then they are not something you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf