Author Topic: Common Inductor Values for Switchmode Regulators  (Read 3885 times)

Offline nathanpcTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Innove Workshop
Common Inductor Values for Switchmode Regulators
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:00:42 pm »
I'm going to start working with some switchmode regulators in the couple weeks, just playing around, taking some measurements under different loads, in other words learning how to properly use them. For this I'll need some inductors, so I would like to know which are the most common values of inductors in these circuits so I can play around with different values and see how they affect the efficiency and other things. Most of the designs I'm going to try are boost for voltages like 3.3V, 5V to 9V or maybe a bit more.

Any suggestions?

Offline lgbeno

• Frequent Contributor
Common Inductor Values for Switchmode Regulators
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:23:44 pm »
This is probably going to be highly dependent on your switch reg and switching frequency.  Just a quick swag but I'd say for a low MHz freq, 1uH to 15uH would be a good start.

Truthfully though physical hardware is nice and all but unless you want to spend a ton of time building and measuring stuff, this is something better to experiment with in simulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Common Inductor Values for Switchmode Regulators
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:06 pm »
I'd probably go with a factor of ten lower frequency and a factor of ten higher inductance.

Sent from my living room using my keyboard
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline szhighstar

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:08:22 pm »
is it commone mode choke or difference mode choke or storage emergy inductor or filter and so on? pin through or SMD configuration?

Offline jebcom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:42 pm »
Have you checked the data sheets? For example, the LM2596 data sheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2596.pdf devotes a lot of space to selecting appropriate components -- not only the inductor, but input and output capacitor values and more importantly ESR, catch diode considerations, and even tips on board layout.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf