Author Topic: Types of tool's to get/use for certain projects  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Code_004Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Robotics is life!
Types of tool's to get/use for certain projects
« on: July 10, 2015, 03:35:52 am »
So I recently purchased a new set of tool's for electronics and there great so the types of tool's every beginner needs are wire cutters, side cutters with a flat sided cutter, screwdriver with multiple heads so you can void the warranty of anything your trying to take apart, needle nose pliers fine and regular sized, fat pliers smaller and regular size, if you need it a tape measure at least 25 feet for convenience, a multimeter without a doubt a fluke is a good brand and sperry it's a great brand I don't know if there as rugged as the flukes but I like them, oscilloscope there great, a power supply with a dial so you can change the voltage, safety goggles and last but not least a soldering iron don't need to spend a hundred get a hakko that's a good brand I don't have any specific models but yes this is a good tool list if you want more in depth go to the EEvblog YouTube and search laboratory on his channel and a video will pop up for this type of stuff.   

Offline SuzyC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Types of tool's to get/use for certain projects
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:34:43 am »
I don't like to criticize people who use English as a second language, but you could also do well to get a book to study grammar and how to write to communicate more clearly.
People might take what you write more seriously if its better organized and your comments show a respect for good grammar and spelling.

I donno whatcha talk'n 'bout so much!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:38:17 am by SuzyC »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:57:55 pm »
I don't like to criticize people who use English as a second language, but you could also do well to get a book to study grammar and how to write to communicate more clearly.
People might take what you write more seriously if its better organized and your comments show a respect for good grammar and spelling.

I donno whatcha talk'n 'bout so much!

Looks like there's a surfeit of apostrophes and a deficit of full stops (aka periods) and carriage returns in his part of the world. Since, I'm feeling generous, here's a few I have lying around. PM me if you want more.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 01:34:28 pm »
Actually not bad for a 12 year old, I've seen worse from adults, so cut the kid some slack.

But yeah, don't skip on grammar classes Code_004.

And separating paragraphs is important for the readers of your posts.

Offline Code_004Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Robotics is life!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »
Ok I will do that.

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »

No apostrophe on "its"?  >:D

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »
Wow... this is a tough crowd all right.... 

One tool that I find indispensable on my bench is a small pair of needle-nosed pliers with the tip bent at about 30 degrees, and smooth jaws. The angled tip makes it easy to get into tough locations, and the smooth jaws are very useful for straightening/bending component leads, acting as a heatsink while soldering, etc.

I've also made up some jumper leads with small smooth-jaw alligator clips, which grip small wires and component leads much better than the normal (Chinese) "toothed" clips.

A good hot-air gun comes in handy for shrinking heat-shrink and removing components from old CRT monitor/TV circuit boards.

The old SVGA cables that connected those old monitors to their computers are good sources for fine hookup wire and thin shielded coax. It's kind of a pain to take the cable apart but worth the effort, considering the price of hookup wire these days.

A fine cutting-stripping pliers like Pro'sKit 8PK-3001D is also very handy, beats stripping wire with my teeth for sure. The serrated pliers tip is a good substitute for the fancy expensive crimpers for Molex pins and the like.

A manual wire-wrap tool is handy for certain tasks, not just for wrapping wire! I have an old RS model that comes with a little stripper for the #30 Kynar wire concealed in the barrel.

Whatever tools you get, remember the old mechanic's advice: Cheap tools are no bargain. Buy the best quality you can afford.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:53:04 pm »
I like to use spare old cat 5 network cable, specially for high speed signals since I now use cat 6 and have no use for the older ones anymore and they make great jump wires for pretty much free :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 03:42:36 pm »
Actually not bad for a 12 year old, I've seen worse from adults, so cut the kid some slack.

If I knew their age, I would actively encourage them to become better at asking for help.

How do you know their age? It isn't immediately visible on their profile.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »
Best advice for choosing tools is:
  • don't buy until you have a requirement. Many things are bought "because they might be handy", and are never used
  • once you have a requirement, you can work out what characteristics a tool needs and what characteristics would be nice
  • include the "lost opportunity cost" in your thinking. i.e. if you didn't spend the money on X, what else could you spend it on
  • develop an engineering approach in which you think of other ways you can satisfy your requirements. With ingenuity, itis often possible to find faster and/or cheaper ways

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »

If I knew their age, I would actively encourage them to become better at asking for help.

I knew because of another thread where Dave mentioned that he is 12 and asked him permission to ask on the forum for a scope.

Yeah, I do read every post :)

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 04:32:57 pm »
Best advice for choosing tools is:
  • don't buy until you have a requirement. Many things are bought "because they might be handy", and are never used
  • once you have a requirement, you can work out what characteristics a tool needs and what characteristics would be nice
  • include the "lost opportunity cost" in your thinking. i.e. if you didn't spend the money on X, what else could you spend it on
  • develop an engineering approach in which you think of other ways you can satisfy your requirements. With ingenuity, itis often possible to find faster and/or cheaper ways

i disagree, i think buying random things is nice because you eventually find a use for it or it inspires you to do some kind of experiment etc.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »

I knew because of another thread where Dave mentioned that he is 12 and asked him permission to ask on the forum for a scope.

Yeah, I do read every post :)

:) I've now spotted that post and left a, hopefully useful, comment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf