Electronics > Beginners

Understanding basic PCBs? Resources?

(1/3) > >>

FireHazard:
Hi all,
   I'm finding that sadly my understanding of basic double sided PCBs is sorely lacking.

Can anybody suggest any resources (maybe a video series, or articles) that will take me through the basics with a through hole technology slant. I'd particularly like to under how the through hole connects to the trace.

Thanks in advance.

sahko123:
Is there any particular topic the confuses you? Double sided pcbs for most applications are nothing more than just wires connecting back and forth and generally dont need much more thought than that

FireHazard:
Just to understand a bit more about what I'm seeing, for example when I scrape off a bit of the green surface (on a scrap board), I see copper..does this copper only exist where the traces run...some boards seem to have a big copper layer that runs throughout?

I have some damaged thru holes on a board I need to replace/repair, and would like to understand the physical connection of the thing in the hole and how it connects to the trace ...the hole goes all the way through the board...but the trace it connects to is only on one side...why does the thing in the hole go to both sides of the board in that case?

Also situations where components are connected in parallel and next to each other, I see there isn't really a 'trace' as such run between them, it looks as if one large 'rectangular' area exists with two thru holes. What is the terminology for that?

TimFox:
The green surface is probably an insulating coating or solder mask.
The board can contain narrow "traces" or complete "ground planes", made from copper.
A rectangle with two holes is a form of "pad".

ledtester:

--- Quote from: FireHazard on May 16, 2022, 11:14:22 pm ---...some boards seem to have a big copper layer that runs throughout?

--- End quote ---

That's most likely a ground plane. Here's a good synopsis of why ground plans are used on PCBs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_plane#Printed_circuit_boards

--- Quote ---...the hole goes all the way through the board...but the trace it connects to is only on one side...why does the thing in the hole go to both sides of the board in that case?

Also situations where components are connected in parallel and next to each other, I see there isn't really a 'trace' as such run between them, it looks as if one large 'rectangular' area exists with two thru holes. What is the terminology for that?

--- End quote ---

Can you upload pictures of these parts of the board?

Update: This video goes over "vias" in PCBs - what they are and the different kinds:

What is a PCB Via? | Sierra Circuits
https://youtu.be/X39BHqvSTvk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version