Author Topic: Understanding comparator output current  (Read 2481 times)

Offline kickenTopic starter

• Contributor
Understanding comparator output current
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:38:56 am »
Having finally gotten the hang of 555-timer circuits (i think) I thought I'd expand my knowledge a bit by trying to incorporate some binary counter ICs and a comparator.  I create a circuit that I think should roughly count seconds using two 4-bit counters.  I'm also using two 4-bit comparators to determine when the count has reached 59.  At that point I want to turn on a transistor.

I got confused however when trying to figure out a resistor value for the transistor base.  I went to the datasheet for my comparator to see what the current limit is on it's output and it listed a bunch of negative values for the output high and also no maximum value.  I was planning on using a 5V source for my circuit, and if I am understanding the datasheet correctly that means the output pin in a high state has a typical current of -1mA. 

I did a bunch of reading regarding negative current, sink vs source current, active high vs active low, etc and so far things are not much clearer to me than before.  If my understanding is correct the the datasheet is saying that roughly 1mA would be provided by the comparator to drive the transistor.  Does this also mean I don't actually need a current limiting resistor on the transistor base as the current is already limited?

Would appreciate any insight into this datasheet.  I'm having a hard time understanding what it's saying and what it means for my circuit planning. 

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: Understanding comparator output current
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 02:23:44 pm »
For bipolar transistor as switch -

If you are trying to use the transistor s a switch then preferably you want it
saturated. To do that rule of thumb is to "force beta" to ~10, eg. Ibsat =
Icsat / 10

That will minimize Pdiss in the transistor switch and realize Vcesat. Not their
are some transistor if you interchange collector and base youc an get even
lower Vcesat values.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

The following users thanked this post: kicken

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:25:51 pm »
How much current do you need the transistor to switch?

Perhaps you should consider a logic level MOSFET, rather than a BJT? MOSFETs don't draw any current from the control circuit, apart for a short length of time when it's switched on/off.

Offline kickenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:37:20 am »
I'm basically just using the transistor as a switch to pull the load pin on my counter ICs to ground so they will reset to 0 on the next clock cycle.  To do this I just connected the collector to my +5v along with a 1k resistor and tied the reset line in just after the resistor.  If my understanding is correct then when the transistor turns on the line will be pulled low and about 5mA will be flowing through the transistor.  I mostly just stuck in a 1k because it's what I have on hand.  I'm guessing I could use a higher value and reduce the current even more yet still have it work ok.  I've not yet bought any of the counter or comparator parts  yet so I could add some bigger resistors to the list.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf