Author Topic: Unexpected behaviour from LM399 board when drawing it's schematic  (Read 431 times)

Offline systemCorrµPti0nTopic starter

Hi

I recently acquired a cheap LM399 board and when drawing it's schematic I don't understand why it is working correctly if the resistors markings are to be "followed"

More specifically I don't understand why the resistor R2 says 18k. In the non inverting opamp configuration R2 and R7 would have a gain of `1.9` $$1 + \frac{18}{20} = 1.9$$

If I were to short the first 3 switches, J1-J2, J3-J4 & J5-J6 I would get the 6.95v from the reference directly into the non inverting input of the opamp and the output should be $$6.95 * 1.9 = 13.205$$

But it is in fact 10v, and when measuring R2 (in circuit tho) it reads 9k, which would make sense with the non inverting gain calculation, but the reading of the resistor still says `1802`

$$1 + \frac{9}{20} = 1.45$$
$$6.95 * 1.45 = 10.0775$$

So I made a list of stuff it could be, but idk how I can tell for sure without applying heat to the board (from what I know that would mess the stability of the ref and the resistors)
  • The marking is wrong
  • I drawed something wrong from the board to the schematic. This and: knowing that when measuring in circuit the reading shall not be trusted as internally the opamps output "leaks" into other pins, hence puting the resistor in parallel with the rest of the circuit.
    (Although this doesn't explain why the gain is `1.45` and not `1.9`)
  • Something else completely that has just gone past me :-DD

The board in question:

The schematic I came up with:

The jumpers table:

Regards
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 09:21:49 pm by systemCorrµPti0n »

Offline Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
Re: Unexpected behaviour from LM399 board when drawing it's schematic
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 10:15:46 pm »
The resistor is made out of two 18K resistors stacked in parallel one on the top of another, from the look of it …

Cheers

Alex

The following users thanked this post: systemCorrµPti0n

Offline systemCorrµPti0nTopic starter

Re: Unexpected behaviour from LM399 board when drawing it's schematic
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 10:53:39 pm »
Damn.

I was so not expecting that. I thought I could be missing another resistor in parallel and even checked under the opamp with a thin wire!

It was something so obvious and simple tho  :-DD

Thank you, I was going nuts re-checking everything trying to find what was missing or wrong!

Best regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf