Author Topic: New Oscilloscope Techtronix OS-245 (AKA 7603) usage  (Read 1328 times)

Offline electronics-whizTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New Oscilloscope Techtronix OS-245 (AKA 7603) usage
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:13:33 am »
So I ended up with this big old Techtronix scope from a coworker, I guess he used for looking at audio signals, hadn't used for a while so gave to me.
It turns on I get display, but shows a solid line from about the middle to the right side. I connected a DC motor to it thinking it could pickup the brush ripple, but it just moved the line up and down. I thought scopes were supposed to show a signal from one side to the other and horizontal axis was time. I could never get the left side to display anything. This unit has 2 inputs and some big panel with triggers, etc.

This is my first scope that seems to work so I am pretty much starting square one. I could not find any operation manual on htis or it's standard 7603 model. My scope has a tag on it for the US army so appears it was military surplus or retired. If anyone has info on this they can share i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: New Oscilloscope Techtronix OS-245 (AKA 7603) usage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:16:08 am »
Congratulations for your new Tektronix analog oscilloscope. :-+

Here, you have the user manual.

https://archive.org/stream/tektronix_OS-245_P_U/OS-245_P_U#page/n0/mode/2up

You can also download the user manual of the 7603, that's the same.
For using the plug-ins, look for the user manual of each of them on Internet.

I think the best solution for you would be to look for somebody in your town who knows how an analog oscillscope works and he could check your oscilloscope and teach you how to use it.

Offline electronics-whizTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Oscilloscope Techtronix OS-245 (AKA 7603) usage
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:19:39 am »
I have an electrician friend that teaches at the college I work at. Hopefully in a couple weeks when they are in we will be able to get together and look at my scopes. Probably see what they recommend for probes too as the one I have is just a dual banana plug. I don't think I need anything fancy, but I also don't want to screw up and fry the scope somehow. I'd rather blow up a cheap probe than the scope.

I have an old tube based heathkit one too, but I think the Techtronix will make that heathkit look like a toy. The heathkit is a good bit less cumbersome though. The techtronix unit is almost like a desktop computer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf