Author Topic: Universal voltage transformer but what about changing frequency  (Read 662 times)

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I have attached a picture of a power supply I am working with. Suitable for worldwide voltage.
I have one USA model 120v 60hz 
I have one Europe model 230v 50hz
It has a jumper with 5 pins on the AC filter board, this jumper determines whether incoming AC is 240v, 230v, 120v or 100v.
So I change it from 230v to 120v. But I don’t see how to change frequency
I don’t see any visual difference besides the voltage jumper when comparing the two units...

The unit that has been converted from 230v to 120v is running hot. The voltage from the power supply board is surely coming out a bit higher, about 10-20% higher voltage than the unit that was designed for 120v 60hz.

The power supply goes to regulators which bring the voltage down to the appropriate level for the circuit, so the circuit is safe, but I want to know what I need to fix so that the unit is not running hot because it’s expecting 50hz and getting 60hz 
High school graduate

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: Universal voltage transformer but what about changing frequency
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 03:10:53 pm »
Getting 60hz instead of 50 would run cooler, not hotter. Older equipment from the states built for 60hz and not designed for European 50hz will often self destruct at 50hz. The reverse is not true. European 50hz equipment runs extremely well on 60hz.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:18:09 pm »
Getting 60hz instead of 50 would run cooler, not hotter. Older equipment from the states built for 60hz and not designed for European 50hz will often self destruct at 50hz. The reverse is not true. European 50hz equipment runs extremely well on 60hz.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks for that.

So it's something else that is making that power supply run hot.

There is no service manual available for these things so I think I will have to put them side by side and find out where the power starts running higher on the 50hz unit than the 60hz one.
High school graduate

Online Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 03:59:06 am »
I would recheck how the primary is configured for the transformer. Sounds like you may have one or more of the taps mixed up . For example if the primary is set up for 100V and put on 120V mains that would raise the secondary by 20% and because there is less impedance on the primary winding set at 100V  it would run hotter at 120V.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf